Water Additions help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jeremybrown9

Reaction score
I have decided to start correcting my water to mach certain profiles around the world depending on style of beer. I started by reading all the info I could find on this forum and others. I also have gone back through my library of books. I am more confused now than ever. My question is this:
If I were to use 100% RO water and want to mimic the water profile from Munich, is there a spreadsheet out there that I can put in my water profile (RO) and the target water profile (Munich) and it will tell me the type and amount of additives? I have messed around with a few and they all seem to want me to mess around with the amounts to add. I just want to be told how much to add for right now. I don't really need to know why, not yet anyway. Thank you for the help.

Be very prudent in using water profiles from old brewing cities. Just because the water profile is at certain levels of ions means that the brewers used that water in that form. Munich is a clear case in point. That water has huge calcium and bicarbonate concentrations. That water might be OK for dark beers. But to brew some of the lighter styles Munich is known for, a boiled or softened profile is appropriate. Bru'n Water includes a large suite of verified water profiles from around the brewing world along with their boiled counterparts. The boiling process drives off CO2 and in the process, causes calcium carbonate to precipitate from the water. The boiled profiles reflect what their water would be if it were boiled. Those boiled profiles would be a better target for brewing those lighter colored beers from those cities.

Check it out.

I understand that some profiles are better suited for certain styles, hence why I want to mess with the water profiles in my brewing. What I am asking is this; does anyone know of a spreadsheet/program or whatever that I input water volume, MY water profile and the target water profile and it will tell me how much stuff to add? I don't want to have to mess around with guessing how much Calcium to put into a box and see what the result might be. Does something like this even exist?

The Primer is ONLY suitable if the brewer is going to use all RO or distilled water for their brewing. It should make good beer, but that is not what the OP asked.

Bru'n Water is exactly what the OP needs to use. There are plenty of other sheets too.

I can attest and many others on here as well that the brewing water chemistry primer is the way to go. My beers are consistent and well received by friends and family. There is no need to fuss over a spreadsheet too too much. I use the following spreadsheet to tweak. Good luck.

http://www.ezwatercalculator.com/

I appreciate the responses, but I guess I did not put in words what I had in my head very well. I would like "something" along the lines of this: Column 1 - RO water readings. Column two - Target water profile. Column three - how much of each I need to add.
Bru'n Water looks like it would be great, but it is well beyond me right now. I just want something simple and tells me the 'what' and later on I will worry about the 'why'.

Back