Campden tablet ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywit

Reaction score
I have searched on this site and was just wondering about when to add camden tablets to my water. Should I add 1/4 of a tablet to all the water I am going to use, so in all 6.5 gallons? Or do I just put it in my strike water? From what I read my understanding is to crush 1/4 of a tablet add it to 6.5 gallons of water the night before and then use all that water to brew. Is this correct?

I just put half a crushed tablet each in my mash and sparge water. More than I need, I know, but I have yet to taste anything in my finished beer from it.

I've never used campden tablets for beer, only wine.

Anyways, the way I understand this is that it kills any wild yeasts and bacteria in the water. Boiling will also do this, which is why I've never used it. If you do use campden, I would say to only use it for water that isn't boiled.

Anyways, the way I understand this is that it kills any wild yeasts and bacteria in the water. Boiling will also do this, which is why I've never used it. If you do use campden, I would say to only use it for water that isn't boiled.

It's also used to neutralize (or whatever chemical reaction goes on in there) chloramines in municipal water. I don't have a filter on my tap, so that's why I use it.

For my 6g batches, 1/4 tab crushed into the strike water, 1/4 tab crushed into the sparge water. From what I understand, the chemical reaction that reduces chlorine and chloramine takes place pretty fast.

The sanitizing concentration of Campden is much stronger than the chlorine/chloramine removal concentration. I don't think there's any harm to the yeast when using it to neutralize chlorine/chloramine at the proper dosage.

Back