Whirlpool return arm -Question about copper Inner Diameter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scruffymmh

Reaction score
I brew 5g batches currently and have an immersion chiller that uses what I think is 3/8" OD soft copper tubing. I'm putting together a whirlpool setup now with a new pump I got. I'm using some QDs and 1/2" ID silicone tubing to take hot wort from the 1/2" ball valve out of my kettle, through the pump (using another 1/2" ball valve for flow restriction, and up to a copper return arm (that I need to build now) that will extend down into the wort. My question is: is it alright to use 1/2" OD (3/8" ID) soft tubing for the return arm to take the returning wort down into the kettle, or should I stick with 1/2" ID all around (meaning 5/8" OD soft copper tubing for this return arm), or doesn't it matter much? I know theoretically I can use the smaller diameter copper, but I'm wondering if this is not advised.

IMG_3211.JPG

The potential upside i see with 1/2" OD 3/8" ID tubing is that the restriction from 1/2" ID to 3/8" ID for the return pipe will speed up the returning wort to create a higher pressure outlet into my kettle and (perhaps) create a more vigorous whirlpool.... I'd be inclined to go with 1/2" OD 3/8" ID unless there is a downside... Thanks for any help

Back