What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
a red from the now closed bonfire bistro.

down goes another brewpub :(

and it was just minutes from my house. :mad:

my own beer that i guess is a pale ale. i was gonna make a hobgoblin clone but when i got there i decided to drop the lme a pound to keep acohol down and forgot it was my first full boil so i didnt adjust the hops. long story short the malty chocolaty hobgoblin turned into an orange hoppy pale. either way its my best beer yet, not a bad mistake:rockin:

Affligem Belgium Blonde and Ayinger Celebrator Dopplebock.

Every Friday or Sat. I've been hitting the local Wegmans that has a great
selection of brews. I've been trying different styles to kind of narrow down
what I want to brew, scince I'm new to All Grain.

The Celebrator was to dark for me. Too much roasted malt/coffee flavor.
I have a Aventus Dopplebock in the fridge that I'll try tomorrow.

The Blonde was very good. Smooth and had a rich taste to it.
I'm thinking that I'd like to brew a blonde similar to this. Rich and smooth.

I picked up a six pack of Bridgeport IPA last night, because I'd heard some good things about it. I wasn't too impressed; the quality of the hoppiness wasn't bright and crisp enough. It was a bit soft; I think it was the types of hops they use. Drinkable, but not great. I'll be back on my Thunderhead next time. :D

Can't drink tonight had another damn gallbladder attack so just pain pills for me tonight. :(,, Last night i did get to enjoy a 120 min IPA, Rouge Dead guy ale, and a few chimay's. First time to try the dead guy ale and I liked it a lot, looks like im gonna have to brew that one sometime.

I'm about to uncap the growler of Porter I got last night at High Desert Brewing (a brew pub in Las Cruces, NM).

It's the only brew pub within about a 90 mile radius of me. I went there a few months ago and really enjoyed their Steam Beer. Last night I tried their Scotch Ale and Imperial Stout. Both were good, but the Scotch Ale tasted almost identical to the Steam Beer with a bit more alcohol content. The Imperial Stout tasted like the Scotch Ale with a touch of roasted malt. I was a little disappointed. It seems to me they use the exact same malt and hops in everything and just vary the amounts to achieve something close to the intended style.

Off I go to the fridge to see if the Porter follows suit...

EDIT:
The Porter is a pleasant surprise. The nose is very reminiscent of their other brews, but the flavor is more complex. Chocolate and coffee notes are prominent with a slight alcohol warmth. The aftertaste is a bit heavy but pleasant. Not sure...I might have to finish the whole growler tonight...I don't want it going flat or oxidizing!

Sierra Nevada Bigfoot Barleywine 2007. I had the whole six pack sitting here and read several other posts saying it was good so I decided to break one open. A nice amber with just a hint of red. Aroma is full of hops. Taste is immediately hops followed by thick malt and a little warming from the alcohol. It's great and I can't wait to taste it in a year.

Torchiest said:
I picked up a six pack of Bridgeport IPA last night, because I'd heard some good things about it. I wasn't too impressed; the quality of the hoppiness wasn't bright and crisp enough. It was a bit soft; I think it was the types of hops they use. Drinkable, but not great. I'll be back on my Thunderhead next time. :D

I like the hops in that IPA. They arent over the top, but they are present. And if I remember correctly, they have a nice grapefruit flavor.

Im drinking the very last bottle of the first beer I ever made. It was a stout from a can. It would have been two years old in about 2 weeks, and it has actually aged decently.

hb.jpg

finally good head on my first batch. I can really taste the flavor improving. I am so excited!!!

Fat Tire. Not that impressed. Not bad but not the best amber I've had. If given the chance between that and most other good beers I would choose the other. If you are in WI check out Harbor City Brewings Mile Rock Amber comma it's owned by the same people who own New Belgium and use the same recipe. Tastes the same to me.

New Glarus Unplugged: Enigma

First let me steal a description...

"A Complex and intriguing original. The mystery began with wild yeast spontaneously fermenting a rich treasure of malted barley and whole cherries. Unlined oak casks breathe deep vanilla hues and chords of smoke into this sour brown ale. Our Master Brewer has forged a smooth garnet tapestry that defies description. Wander off the beathen path. "

Very interesting, very tasty brew. Tart cherry flavor, I dont detect vanilla or smoke yet, but the cherry is definitley there. If you don't like sweet beer you won't like this one, but I'll definitely enjoy the rest of this four pack, but not tonight. This is a one a night type of beer.

Have to get back to the store to get the other Unplugged, the Belgian Quadruple.

My Show Low Pale Ale. I love this stuff

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
90.5 9.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
4.8 0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20
4.8 0.50 lbs. Munich Malt(light) America 1.033 10

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.50 oz. Perle Pellet 7.70 17.2 60 min.
0.50 oz. Perle Whole 7.70 14.1 45 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.00 7.2 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Chimone said:
My Show Low Pale Ale. I love this stuff

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
90.5 9.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
4.8 0.50 lbs. Crystal 20L America 1.035 20
4.8 0.50 lbs. Munich Malt(light) America 1.033 10

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
0.50 oz. Perle Pellet 7.70 17.2 60 min.
0.50 oz. Perle Whole 7.70 14.1 45 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.00 7.2 15 min.
1.00 oz. Cascade Pellet 6.00 0.0 Dry Hop

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP001 California Ale

Looks nice, but I can't stand perle.

a mr. beer "west coast pale ale". Finally getting rid of the "cidery" taste and it not bad at all.

Wolf said:
...Have to get back to the store to get the other Unplugged, the Belgian Quadruple.

Let us know your opinion, if you do. I had their smoked rye 'Unplugged' last year and loved it. Wish I could still get NG beers here.:mad:

Rhoobarb said:
Let us know your opinion, if you do. I had their smoked rye 'Unplugged' last year and loved it. Wish I could still get NG beers here.:mad:

Absolutely will. I only got the Enigma first because I thought SWMBO would also enjoy it. I can't wait to try the Quad.

2007 Legend Hopfest. This was much better last year. This year's doesn't have the aroma, nor the strong piney essence of Simcoe. It tastes good for an IPA but it misses the mark as far as equaling last year's version.

I finally broke and spent the $12 for a bottle of this. Liquid Bread is how I'll describe it. Amazing smells, and a unique taste. Even without the recommended wide mouth goblet. A high ABV beer that goes down so well, it's hard to taste the alcohol.

New addition to my "clone list"

DeathBrewer said:
la fin du monde

little snack before i hit the hay :)

I tried this one for new years, but was too far gone to really get much out of it. I remember raisins.

raisins? no, it's a triple, very tasty golden brew with awesome head retention. nice and malty and alcoholic. i got raisins from their 2004, tho. didn't really like that.

Dude said:
I love the "research" beers! What did you buy?

lol, let me go grab my third bottle...

OK, here's what i got:
Ayinger Ur-Weisse "Authentic Bavarian Dunkel Weizen" - very, very good
Reutberger Aloster-Beer - this one tastes roasty...good, but not what i'd expect from a dunkel. actually tastes kinda like my blood ale!!! they ripped me off! :D
Tucher Dunkles Hefe Weizen - will let you know in a few minutes

My fourth is a Franziskaner Dunkel, which i've had many times and was really my inspiration to begin with :rockin: probably won't get to that tonight. i do have to wake up for werk, after all.

Man, being this old and back in school kinda sucks... It's 11:30pm and I just got home from a Physics lab... Having a nice Oatmeal Stout... starting to feel good!

DeathBrewer said:
raisins? no, it's a triple, very tasty golden brew with awesome head retention. nice and malty and alcoholic. i got raisins from their 2004, tho. didn't really like that.

I wasn't too sure. I was buzzed on other beer and basically wasted $8 on this one, because I couldn't remember jack.

yeah, try it again some time. Unibroue rocks! :rockin: they have some absolutely amazing beers.

La Fin Du Monde (the end of the world)
Maudite (damned)
Trois Pistoles (three pistols)
Terrible

Some of the best beers EVER imo.

My local package store still has a shXt ton of different unibroques, and it's a bit cheaper than Chimay.

I just tried Founders Red's Eye Ale.........and wow, that was one tasty brew! The hop aroma and flavor were very fresh and very tasty. I think I've seen some red eye rye recipes floating around here and I know I'll be peeking at those!

:mug:

chimay red. yum.

end of peach cream ale. yum.

i'm almost out of beer. sh|t. i need to hurry up and move already so I can brew again.

Latest posts

Back