Simple Decoction Method - Kai?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Much2Brew

Reaction score
Looking for help from anyone but would really appreciate help from Kai.
What if;
I want a decoction character but want to simplify the process and don't want o extend any of the rest(s). I was thinking I could do my regular mash in my kettle and then after conversion is complete bring the entire mash to a boil for 30 minutes to one hour. Keeps everything real simple, no pulling part of the mash while the rest of the mash sits for a prolonged time. Would this work? Drawbacks? Advantages?

I guess it depends on what you want for the "decoction character". If you are just looking for additional melanoidins and carmelization do a very long, violent boil.

If you can find a copy of the March/April 2010 Zymurgy, it has an article "Pseudo Decoction Mashing" which may be of interest. IIRC, it was a simplified method. There is also an article on decoction in the December, 2010 issue of BYO. I can't vouch for either article, since I've never done a decoction.

Welcome to the forum! I've never done a decoction but I know you can "cheat" and just add melanoidin malt to your grist

Back