Help designing keg setup/who has best prices?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Atrus

Reaction score
So, after a whopping 5 batches bottled, I've decided that bottling is for the birds and want to get a keg setup for my future basement pub :mug:

I have a CO2 tank that is promised to me. Friend had one in college for dispensing kegs 'o Miller Lite. He's since graduated, lives 2 miles away, and wants to contribute to the "Pub Cause".

So, I'd like to be able to have 2-3 kegs on tap. I really plan on 2, however, the option of plugging in a third at any time is appealing. What I am confused with is what do I need as far as gauges, manifolds, etc? Can someone help me to lay this out?

Also, as I mentioned, I'll have a CO2 tank to get me started. Most of the used corny kegs I see online are about $30-$35 plus shipping. My LHBS has used kegs for $25.50, so I think that's a better option. So, where is the best place to get the lines and regulators/manifolds/fittings I'd need? I understand it may be cheaper to get everything in a kit with the CO2 and Keg, and if that's the case, I'll do it.

Thanks!!!

Check Craigslist to see if anyone in your neighborhood is selling anything.

Then check eBay. You can usually find a deal where it's 4 kegs + shipping for $80ish.

Then you'll probably want a distributor. Look at the online stores for one.

A distributor - probably ~$40 for a single, $80 for a dual.

Lines in and lines out

Faucet

Kegerator

Tower, drip tray, etc.

Atrus said:
Do I need regulators on each tank/keg?

You can run one primary with a splitter or manifold for multiple kegs as long as you're ok with one serving pressure. Otherwise, you need a secondary regulator for each additional pressure.

I would reccomend (if you have not bought a regulator already) to go ahead and spend a little more and get the dual setup. I wish I did as I usually don't brew as much as some people on this board and usually have one ready to drink (although I am still working some bugs out in my process) and one in the fermenter. This way you can carbonate one at a higher psi and serve one at a lower. I wish I went this route. Just my two cents.

cyberjoey80 said:
I would reccomend (if you have not bought a regulator already) to go ahead and spend a little more and get the dual setup. I wish I did as I usually don't brew as much as some people on this board and usually have one ready to drink (although I am still working some bugs out in my process) and one in the fermenter. This way you can carbonate one at a higher psi and serve one at a lower. I wish I went this route. Just my two cents.

What i was thinking about doing was having a shutoff valve on each line. I can then close the beer im drinking, open the one im force carbing and boost up the pressure. Close the valve (both closed) and lower the pressure to the desigred serving pressure. Its a little bit of goofing around for those couple of days when you are force carbing but i dont think ill mind.
Not saying this is optiomal but just thinking out loud.

thans for the replies everyone. I appreciate the links. I also never thought about the serving/carbing dilemma.

Atrus. If your buddy served beer back at school he should also have a regulator and fittings. Best get with him to see what he has. Also The place you get your gas can also hook you up with regulators, valves and gauges though possibly not the ball locks ...or point you where you can get them locally.

Here's a a kegger system from Micromatic. Did I forget anything?

KeggerSystem.jpg

Ed Wort nailed it. If you're on a budget, you can do without the drip tray. And I like threaded fittings instead of barbed - just because it's easier to take apart

Back