Use a Mini Fridge for a Jockey Box / Plate Chiller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bullka

Reaction score
Has anyone used a mini-fridge to cool a plate chiller or stainless steel coil for chilling down warm beer from a keg?
I am wanting to build something similar to a jockey box where the coil or plate chiller would be submerged in water and placed inside a refrigerator instead of a cooler full of ice.
The advantage of this for me is the portability of taking the mini-fridge to my lake house for a week instead of having to haul the keezer there and not having to replenish the ice every few days like a jockey box.

I have a 2ft x 2ft x 2ft mini fridge that I think would be great for this.
Any thoughts on how well this would work?

Why not just pick up a dorm fridge and add a couple taps with a 20oz CO2 bottle and leave that there? It seems like it would be more of a pain with little gain to go the whole Jockey Box route... that is, unless you already have the chiller plate too.

Most likely, that is the plan, to just leave the mini-fridge at my lake house and then when I go down there on the weekends all I would have to do is haul a keg or two down there and plug them in.
I figured I already have the small fridge and I like how it does not take up very much space when its not in use.
Just wanted to see if anyone has built something similar to this with any success.

Little dorm fridges aren't that great for something like that. A 1.7 cu ft fridge can move about 150 BTU/hr. That means that you would only be able to chill down 5lbs (or 80oz, or 5 pints) of beer per hour, assuming you had the beer at 75f and wanted to serve at 45f.

You could give yourself some buffer by using a stainless coil in a big bucket of water, but you'd have to basically leave the mini fridge on the whole time so it was cooled all the way down when you got there.

If you're just planning on using it occasionally... I think a jockey box would be a much better way to go. A few bucks for a 20lb bag of ice would be enough to dispense beers for quite a while. Ice is right around 150BTU's per pound too, but it can give them up a lot faster than the mini fridge.

I wanted to bump this thread because I would like do basically the same thing sort of. Except I have a full-sized old school general motors fridge that is currently my beer fridge. I just started kegging beer and would like to be able to have the beer cold without having to have the kegs always in the fridge. Just one takes up just about a 1/3rd of the space and doesnt allow me to have any shelves in there. I could go all out and get three kegs in there max but then I woudn't have room for anything that I've bottled. So the idea is to take up a portion of the frigdge with coils or plates that would take up a lot less rooom than a whole keg and still leave plenty of room for bottles, yeast and hops that I keep in there too on the shelves. Anybody do anything like this?

Back