Plate Chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhhhhhh chit. I had a feeling I screwed up somewhere. Par for the course. The day started off chitty and getting progressively worse.:cross: It sounds like a good deal.

So I don't have first hand experience, but I did just buy one. I found another thread where some other poster bought one. I sent him a PM asking about the throughput because I wanted to whirlpool through it. He said he does the same and absolutely loves it, so I pulled the trigger.

Just as a note, there is another 50 plate chiller on ebay that looks like it has even more surface area but it's being sold from Germany. Looks like a better deal, but I went with the 40 plate you mentioned because of the recommendation from the other poster. Bottom line is that the 40 plate has more cooling surface than that Therminator, which should work great.

I have that exact one from the same seller on EBay. Of course I have nothing to do a side by side comparison but everything that I have read of people using other plate chillers such as the therminator, this one has had the same results. You might have to get creative with mounting since it has no means of attaching it to anything. I will attach some picture of how I mounted mine to give out some ideas.

I have that exact one from the same seller on EBay. Of course I have nothing to do a side by side comparison but everything that I have read of people using other plate chillers such as the therminator, this one has had the same results. You might have to get creative with mounting since it has no means of attaching it to anything. I will attach some picture of how I mounted mine to give out some ideas.

Thanks Sourmash, Pics would be awesome because i didn't even consider on how to mount it. I was to worried with plate numbers and surface area. I think I'm gonna have to buy it because 100 bucks for a plate chiller and free shipping that's hard to beat.

Here is the one I use. http://cgi.ebay.com/UL-Certified-Me...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a5b6b68d

Although only a 20 plate, its extended length doubles the cooling capacity, giving more bang for the buck. the drawback was I had to put adapters on since it was 1" NPT ports.
OP you should be very happy with your new plate! Even with my high ambient and ground water temps, the plate was the best thing to happen to my brews. Be warned hop bags or screen is a must.

Here is the one I use. http://cgi.ebay.com/UL-Certified-Me...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item35a5b6b68d

Although only a 20 plate, its extended length doubles the cooling capacity, giving more bang for the buck. the drawback was I had to put adapters on since it was 1" NPT ports.
OP you should be very happy with your new plate! Even with my high ambient and ground water temps, the plate was the best thing to happen to my brews. Be warned hop bags or screen is a must.

jeez that thing is long. Ya i'll have to look into learning about whirlpool and finding a good hop screen. I'm waiting to see what blichmann is coming out with.

bobby_m has a thread on a hopstopper. I built one and it works. If I were to do it again I would increase the hole size or decrease the wire size by one step. Boil bubbles seem to get caught in it, making pump priming a little difficult at first.
Whirlpooling wont help the first several gallons that go through plate hence the hopstopper. I see no need to whirlpool since I can cool to pitch temp single pass at a little more than a gallon per minute.

Here is a couple of photos (sorry about the quality) of how I mounted the chiller onto my Brutus. I took 2 pieces of 1/4" aluminum flat stock and welded them at a 90. Drilled 2 clearance holes for the male quick disconnects and used them as a means of tightening the chiller to the plate aluminum. I was a little concerned at first of the fittings being a weak point and would be prone to snap off, but once I had it all mounted up it seems just fine.
2s8lr2b.jpg

15rjc6b.jpg

How do you keep hops out of that thing during the first few minutes of whirlpool?

Here is a couple of photos (sorry about the quality) of how I mounted the chiller onto my Brutus. I took 2 pieces of 1/4" aluminum flat stock and welded them at a 90. Drilled 2 clearance holes for the male quick disconnects and used them as a means of tightening the chiller to the plate aluminum. I was a little concerned at first of the fittings being a weak point and would be prone to snap off, but once I had it all mounted up it seems just fine.
2s8lr2b.jpg

15rjc6b.jpg

Wow nice job. Thanks for the pics. I bought mine today. His supply started at 10 now its at 6 so i decided to go for it before he sold out. I missed the sale on Bobby M's Ball valves and didn't want to miss another opportunity.

i like a 50 foot counter chiller better. have used both. the counter chiller worked better for me and it easier to clean/sanitize

Back