used 2 yeasts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mosebag

Reaction score
My local homebrew supply talked me into using two yeast packs (sarfale-04 and danstar nottingham) I rehydrated both before pitching and it's going a bit nuts. What effect will this have on the abv of the beer (if any) and since the initial fermentation went into my airlock (which I rinsed and resanitized) do I have to worry about another blow-off?

Any advice is welcomed, for the record I'm brewing an esb/brown ale mix.

It shouldn't have any impact on ABV unless the combination of yeasts allows it to attenuate a bit more than expected, but that would be negligable. If initial fermentation is over (has it been a few days?) then you shouldn't have to worry about another blowoff.

thanks norcal, airlocks were put in place around 9pm last night so initial is not yet over, looks like I might have to create a blow-off tube!

What was your OG? I have no idea why you would need to packets of dry yeast.

I sometime pitch two of liquid if I didn't have time for a starter but never dry.

OG was 1.037, right on target for the style. he said it would be a good experiment for me to see the aggressive fermentation. I don't think it will ruin the beer however I'm intrigued as to why he'd suggest two aside from saying it would "brew a bigger beer".

If the Safeale you used is the English Ale Yeast, yeah, it's a very vigorous yeast. I've not used Nottingham yet.

Why it's safest to always go with a blow-off hose until you know how a particular yeast(s) work.

lesson learned, got home from work yesterday to newly beer painted walls. however I feel the beer is salvaged as the fermentation was dense and well over the top, so I don't think the oxygen could have gotten all the way in. i'm not the proud owner of a blow-off hose.

lesson learned, got home from work yesterday to newly beer painted walls. however I feel the beer is salvaged as the fermentation was dense and well over the top, so I don't think the oxygen could have gotten all the way in. i'm not the proud owner of a blow-off hose.

got any pictures?

Back