English Barleywine Fireside Barleywine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My second running of this at 7% HEADED nicely and at 62 degrees(cellar temp) is FANTASTIC. At $64.27 for 9 gallons this is a real money saver. at the Local (a real bar name) I paid $8 for a pint. That's $576 for 9 gallons divided by 6 hour of brew labor and 2 hours of other time minus $76 in other costs; I paid myself $60 per hour to brew. Some say this hobby does not save you money. THANKSfor a fantastic recipe

Starting to brew this in the next 1-2 hours. Had to modify the grain bill slightly based on LHBS availability.

Went with:

10lb Marris Otter
3lb Smoke
2lb Munich
.5lb 60L
.5lb Special B

16lbs total - Going to mash with ~7gals of water. I might try what some other guys have done and try pulling seconds off this beer.

During my brewing process, I will be drinking:

Bell's Kalamazoo Stout
Ithaca Brewing Coffee Stout
Lavery's Ulster Coffee Stout
My homebrewed coffee stout

Cheers.

Mashed for 90min with 7gals of water. Sparged with another 2gals - barely collected 4gals afterwards. :) I ended up adding additional water to bring it up for ~5.5gals.

Boiling right now... hoping my propane tank will last for at least a 90-120min boil.

I added another 3.5gals of water to my mash tun and am trying to pull seconds. I'll probably add 1lb of DME to make a 2nd batch. I used sparkling amber DME. Hopefully I'll have a similar batch, just smaller. Like someone said back on page one, this will be "Son of Fireside"

3 weeks later, I racked the Jr. Barleywine to the secondary and measured a 1.012 gravity. This might be the lowest gravity I've ever gotten, so that was nice. The sample tasted good, the smoked malt was noticeable. I'm going to bottle next week using 3/4 cup of DME I think. At the same time, I'll rack the Sr. Barleywine to secondary as well.

Did anyone add anything to the secondary with the original recipe?

And planning ahead to when I bottle the Sr. version, let me get this straight:

1. Rack beer to bottling bucket.
2. Hydrate 1/2 pack of Safale 05 with water
3. Pitch yeast into bottling bucket and stir
4. Add DME to bottling bucket for carbonation in bottles
5. Then bottle?

I would add 2 lbs of corn sugar. Notes on cane sugar leaves residual sugar in the wort. Corn sugar will convert fully. I found most of that info in sweetening back in wine discussions when you want a sweet wine.

Made this a few months ago. Opened a bottle last night to check on it and it was great! Marris Otter is life. I only used 2lbs of beech smoked malt but it's really noticeable. I'll probably use 1lb next time.

Will be interesting to see how it develops over time. I can definitely see this getting better over the next year or so. I'll be brewing this again 1000%

Back