NO CHILL beer, and chill haze... UGH

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The Pol

Reaction score
stop making such an issue of it.

NOCHILLSNPA.JPG

eh. I can't read the license plate on the car. ;)

Seriously, that's some nice clean beer. I just ordered 2 6-gallon Winpaks this evening, and I can't wait to try them out.

No front license plates in IN.

It is nice, it is clean...

No chill isnt for everyone, but this is one less thing for some to worry about.

What's wrong with just putting the stuff directly in the fermenter?

Nothing as long as you're careful. When the wort cools, all of the air surrounding it will contract. If you have an airlock on your fermenter, it will suck that liquid into the wort. I personally stick a nice long hose through the airlock grommet and into a blow-off bucket. No temperature-related contraction is going to suck liquid all the way up the tube. Some people just cork the airlock grommet with something until it's cooled. Also, you probably don't want to store the wort for any real length of time in a fermenter with a lot of head space, but I get the idea that's not your intention.

Is there some reason everyone likes the winpaks for the no-chill? What's wrong with just putting the stuff directly in the fermenter?

What sort of fermentor?

Glass? Good chance the boiling wort will cause a temp. change too extreme and it will shatter or crack.

Better Bottle? PET will melt under these temps.

Winpak? HDPE that is food grade that can handle temps in excess of boiling. Easy to clean, built in handle for carrying...

I would never recommend placing boiling wort in a glass or PET fermentor. This is why people are using the $15 Winpaks. They are more versatile than the glass or PET fermentors, and much cheaper.

Hey Pol. do all your beers w/ no chill come out this clear?

Is it safe to say that the protien cold break thing is bunk?

All of my beers with NO CHILL have thus far turned out this clear.

I am not going to make any claims, other than that the picture is proof of what CAN be done with no chill. I am not going to re-write the HB books, but I am not going to beleive all that they say either.

Thats a damn fine looking beer there! I can't wait to try out my "extended storage" no chill. Another 2-3 weeks and it comes out of the cube and into the fermenter! :mug:

You said no chill isn't for everyone...what do you mean? Are there any down sides you can think of?

Well, some people are really bitchy if you try to change the staus quo... it isnt for them :D

I see no downside. But some people may.

Thats a damn fine looking beer there! I can't wait to try out my "extended storage" no chill. Another 2-3 weeks and it comes out of the cube and into the fermenter! :mug:

I am rarely concerned about the appearance of my beers, I brew to drink, not look... BUT to some these qualities matter, and this is physical evidence of what is possible.

This is really pretty awesome for me because I've actually been having slight quality issues from pitching too warm (the 105F heat and 75F well water doesn't chill well...go figure).

I finally built myself a pre-chiller, but for the sake of simplicity I might have to give this a shot. Kudos to you Pol for going against common wisdom and actually putting this to the test! :mug:

Thanks, and you are welcome. $15 and a Winpak and you can give it a shot. I do have a hop time adjustment table on here somewhere too.

It saves some time on brew day, and doesnt require cold water to get the wort to pitcing temps. Dealing with pre-chillers, chillers... that is a lot of equipment for me.

Most evenings it gets down in the low 60's here, so I can just toss the Winpak outside and pitch in the morning.

I'm getting ready to switch to cornies for fermenters. Would you see any problem doing no chill straight into a clean and sanitized keg?

A lot of these questions have been asked 20x....

Um, the only issue is how to deal with no headspace and the vaccuum presented when the wort cools. It is pretty tremendous. Get around those, and yah, SS handles heat well. Ive never done it, and with the need for foam control and modification to the keg itself, it is just easier for ME to use the Winpak...

Anyone using kegs for this??

Makes me want to do a test in my type of system. I don't know about a Corny, but I bet a Sanke would pull the one way spear cone in "as needed", and still have a slight vacuum by the next day when you opened it to pitch.

Wait a minute, I could rig the tap with a yeast loader container type-a-thingy and suck the yeast in through to the bottom of the dip tube by modifying a tap connector. Then when I attached the spunding tap connector it would release the rest of the vacuum (maybe, but if not... not a bad thing either), and then the yeast would start producing their own keg pressure with CO2.

Great read Pol, can't wait to hear more and experiment for myself.

Makes me want to do a test in my type of system. I don't know about a Corny, but I bet a Sanke would pull the one way spear cone in "as needed", and still have a slight vacuum by the next day when you opened it to pitch.

Wait a minute, I could rig the tap with a yeast loader container type-a-thingy and suck the yeast in through to the bottom of the dip tube by modifying a tap connector. Then when I attached the spunding tap connector it would release the rest of the vacuum (maybe, but if not... not a bad thing either), and then the yeast would start producing their own keg pressure with CO2.

Great read Pol, can't wait to hear more and experiment for myself.

Wouldnt the yeast die at those temps?

Or would it only be introduced after complete cooling?

I was just thinking about the same thing last week. It would be cool to setup a little device that once you hit your pitch temp the yeast would be sucked into the fermenter. Only problem when doing it with a vacuum is I'm sure the yeast would be introduced far too hot.

Far too hot, and in the presence of a vaccuum. There may be a serious lack of O2.

Never filtered... I crash for a day or so prior to kegging.

If you're using a sanke keg, you could fill it with hot wort and then pressurize with say 20 psi CO2. As the wort cools and contracts, the CO2 would expand and the pressure drop. PV=nRT don't you know.

Not to be contrary, Pol, but could the fact you're kegging be the real secret to your clarity? I've never had homebrew as clear and brite as I do now from the kegerator.

If you're using a sanke keg, you could fill it with hot wort and then pressurize with say 20 psi CO2. As the wort cools and contracts, the CO2 would expand and the pressure drop. PV=nRT don't you know.

Not to be contrary, Pol, but could the fact you're kegging be the real secret to your clarity? I've never had homebrew as clear and brite as I do now from the kegerator.

Where did I say that ANYTHING was a secret to clarity? I hate answering questions about claims I never made.

Where did I say that ANYTHING was a secret to clarity? I hate answering questions about claims I never made.

A little defensive, aren't we? ;)

wehumble - to answer the query, prolonged cold storage is extremely effective in achieving star-bright beer.

Tired of answering baseless questions on HBT.

Concerns abound that no chill beer WILL NOT clear, cold storage or not... that was the entire point of this thread.

Tired of answering baseless questions on HBT.

Concerns abound that no chill beer WILL NOT clear, cold storage or not... that was the entire point of this thread.

I don't see how people aren't understanding this either.

:confused:

Look, people were worried about the clarity of no chill beer. So The Pol posted a picture of a no chill beer so you could see with your own eyes how clear it can be. He didn't say it was more clear than other methods, he said clear beer is ALSO possible with no chill.

So simple a homebrewer could do it.

How the hell do you pour a beer at 34 degrees and not have condensation all over that glass? My glasses get condensation on them before the pour is over!

Jeez, why does The Pol have to go on here and claim that only he can produce clear beer with his no chill technique. What a know-it-all!

KIDDING!!! I'm KIDDING!!! :D

How the hell do you pour a beer at 34 degrees and not have condensation all over that glass? My glasses get condensation on them before the pour is over!

You wipe it OFF before the photo, otherwise you cannot see the clarity? I know, I know... pure genius.

Back