Kegging Cider Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerme01

Reaction score
Does Cider generally require the same PSI as beer? I have had mine at 17 PSI for 2 weeks, and no carb what so ever.

Thanks,

Apfelwein doesn't seem to hold carbonation well. Mine goes flat about 1 minute after filling a pint.

What temp do you have it at? If it's colder, it'll hold the carb better. Otherwise, you may have a leak in your system. Fill a spray bottle with some soapy water and spray each connection on your system when you have the gas on, and see if any bubbles show up. If they do, you've got a leak. Other than that, I'm not sure why it wouldn't hold carb. Even water will carb after a little while.

I carb mine at 25psi and then drop the pressure for serving. If the CO2 tank stays on the keg with the gas on the whole time, it takes about 3-4 days to get a decent carb. Usually, I am trying to carb 5-6 kegs at a time and I dont have a manifold, so I charge each keg once per day. That takes about a week for all of the kegs to absorb the CO2

17psi in 2 weeks should work if you keep the gas on - Did you fill the keg completely to the top? That might make a difference. The rate of diffusion is a function of surface area as well as pressure, so you dont want to fill to where the keg narrows at the very top.

Back