WLP500 Trappist Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laiced

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering doing an English Dark Mild session beer with the WLP500 Trappist Ale yeast and a few questions have begun floating through my head.

1) Is this a good idea? I am really interested in the " distinctive fruitiness and plum characteristics" of the strain. I think it could be a decent undertone to the mild style.

2) Does it change the beer in terms of "what the beer is"? I guess what I am trying to get at is, does using this yeast stop this beer from being an English Mild?

3) Any other suggestions for a fruit-producing strain that would work well with a Mild?

I've only used wlp500 once - in a Belgian tripel recipe. I didn't get any plum. Pretty much all banana. Might be different when used with darker grains.

For a mild though I would probably use a flavorful English yeast to get those fruity esters- like wlp023 (http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/strains_wlp023.html). A Belgian strain is going to give you a distinctly Belgian flavor profile, so, technically, you really won't end up with an English Mild, though you may end up with an excellent beer (a Belgian Mild?).

Belgian yeast plays a central role in the beer styles from that region. If you use a grain bill that is English Mild and use a Trappist yeast like you're pondering, it won't be "to style" but you still might like the beer.

If you really want an English Mild, I'd suggest you use an English yeast. Go to the White Labs website and read up on the English yeasts and select one that interests you. Personally I like WLP002. I've tried 4 different English yeasts and decided that one suited my tastes best. I'd encourage you to do the same; try different ones and you'll discover which ones you especially like.

The great thing about homebrewing is that you can decide all the components in a beer. Use the Belgian yeast with the Mild grain bill if you like. There's no harm in it.

Cheers

Belgian yeasts have a very distinct flavor. If you use one it will not be an English mild, but it may be an interesting brew.

If you are looking for an English mild use a yeast designed for that style.

Back