Firestone DBA Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skidkid267

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Firestone DBA kit? I recently bottled this and the oak taste from the chips added to primary and secondary was really strong when I tasted the FG sample. Will bottle conditioning and a bit of time mellow the oak flavor out? I have had many DBA's and although the oak is there, it is not overpowering.

How long did you have it on oak? Was it chips or cubes? You'll get different extraction times out of each (chips being faster)... If you're concerned, keep it bottled and sample one every few weeks until the flavor has gotten closer to your liking.

Generally speaking, aging will mellow out sharp flavors. It's all a matter of how long it takes. Batch/bulk aging usually yields better results, but since you've already bottled it up, you'll need to use bottle aging/conditioning to do it's work.

As for the kit, I've not heard of it before. Perhaps a link to the site with it, or posting the full recipe, and processes you used (such as the oak aging/adds) would be a good start.

It was Chips and as per the recipe it was 2oz. in the primary which took about 5-6 days to get down to about 1.014 and then into secondary racking off the old chips and onto 1oz. of new chips for either 8-10 days (I can't remember for sure).

Anyway, Golddiggie, thanks for the reply, The pipeline is being built back up so I will be able to keep my hands off of this one for quite awhile. I will post updates on this when tasted for anyone who may care.

Back