Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it was a great movie and would love to see it again. I am amazed that it cost so much to make the movie. I thought that they wouldn't make their money back so fast but they almost have by now already.

I prefer to go to the matinee because it's about 1/2 price. Popcorn is just about 100% profit, but popcorn and a movie go hand in hand, it's kind of hard to go without. I don't go to the theater as often because the price is so high.

Anybody remember $1 tuesdays in the early 80's?

Will the 3D make some people sick? I am planning on seeing it. Though I don't think it looks that good. I saw a 3D movie at home, and it made me sick.

YES it will definitely make you ill if you get any motion sickness at all. I get motion sickness very easily. Playing FPS games in full screen makes me dizzy after a few minutes. Boat rides are terrible. I saw this movie at the IMAX in 3D. IMAX movies and 3D movies make me physically ill about 30 minutes in, along with movies with shaky camerawork like Cloverfield or The Blair Witch Project also make me want to vomit.

I've found that ginger helps immensely with the motion sickness. I put powdered ginger into gelcaps and pop 4 as the previews start. I'll take one every 20 minutes or so throughout the movie to keep the effect going. I've also taken a ginger root into the theater and chewed on it throughout the movie as well, it seems to work too. Ironically I despise the taste of ginger.

Judging by the trailer this looked like a lameass movie. I went to go see it anyway and was glad I did. I would definitely see it again, although I'd want a better seat than 4th row on the far right. My son loved it so much he downloaded a bootleg copy when we got home so he could watch it again.

Just saw this yesterday in my small towns non 3-D movie. I think my opinion has a lot to do with the fact that we drank for 3 hours before the show, and one of the guys I went with. 2 Guys fell asleep about an hour in (we went to the 10:15 show after drinking since 7, mistake #2) It just took a long time for anything to happen. I enjoyed the movie overall and think the me being drunk, then really tired during the slow intro made it difficult to stay awake. I'd like to take the wife to a nice theater with 3-D and see it again though.

I can hardly wait for REALd to come out for home theatre... I looks like you could just mount the lens in front of a DLP projector and be in business.

I, for one, was really impressed. I don't care that the story has been told a hundred different ways. If that were the attitude...then why bother trying to make a better beer...it's already been done a hundred different ways.

As a pilot...I was impressed with the attention to detail in the movie. The close-up of the lady pilot coming in for landing...you could actually see her manipulating the anti-torque pedals...and her inputs to the controls where actually believable.

I'll have to watch it again.

I saw this movie at the IMAX in 3D. IMAX movies and 3D movies make me physically ill about 30 minutes in, along with movies with shaky camerawork like Cloverfield or The Blair Witch Project also make me want to vomit.

Yeah, Cloverfield was awful. Stupid movie, and made me sick.

My son and I went to see it and we were both blown away! It's a lot of fun to watch. I'll probably see it again while it's still on the big screen. It is visually stunning. It is absolutely beautiful.

The story is pretty predictable but, who cares. After all, we did know the ship was gonna sink in "Titanic" but, it was still cool to see it happen on the big screen.

It is a little heavy handed and preachy in parts. Summary: Most white people are bad, and blue people are good. Rich white people are worse, and rich white people with guns are the worst.

If you take the "message" of the film with a grain of salt and enjoy the ride you'll have a blast.

I saw this last night in 3D. The story was better than I expected. It had some holes and issues and could be preachy and used over the top caricatures to make its point, but, I've seen worse. The name of the mineral they were mining was just ridiculous!! It was definitely a good looking film. I wouldn't say it's the best SciFi movie made, but it was a strong effort. Worth the hype, maybe...maybe not. It was worth seeing.

Now, the whole 3D thing, I appreciated the fact that not only is the Real3D stuff very good looking, but the movie doesn't really utilize any obvious, "This is a 3D MOVIE!!!" effects. Not a lot of rockets launched directly out into the audience or people pointing STRAIGHT into the camera. I thought that was well done. There were a few points I was so convinced that I was about to tell all the idiots in front of me to put their hands down and stop waving them in the air, until I realized that was part of the film.

However, I have to tell James Cameron NOT to lead off a 3D film with scenes inside a spacecraft with counter rotating fields. First off, it will take a few minutes for people to adjust to the 3D even if you're just showing them a fairly static image. Don't hit them with the chaos right at the beginning, it throws the entire brain out of whack! I've never once had an issue with a 3D film, but I had to take my glasses off for a few minutes at the beginning and give myself small doses for the first five minutes to adjust. Once I got used to it, no problems. So, James, seriously, for future reference here!!! My wife said she even felt sick during the 3D Shrek preview.

I just got back from seeing it and loved it. It was a stunning experience, and although I didn't see it in 3D, the effects were still awesome. I actually thought the story was good too, i mean it had a pretty predictable ending, but how it all worked out was pretty cool.

Saw it in 3D and only paid $9.00. Must be the exception. The story was predictable. If you consider yourself politically conservative you will be mildly offended by the America/Army/Capitalism bashing. I wasn't offended at all though. The special effect are unlike anything else seen ever though. You need to see it on the big screen just for this.

If you consider yourself politically conservative you will be mildly offended by the America/Army/Capitalism bashing.

I consider myself politically conservative. Well, fiscally conservative, I guess socially I'm pretty liberal. I suppose I really consider myself more of a Libertarian these days.

I think the "bashing" wasn't so much offensive as just kind of ham fisted. I just didn't think it was handled that well.

I consider myself politically conservative. Well, fiscally conservative, I guess socially I'm pretty liberal. I suppose I really consider myself more of a Libertarian these days.

I think the "bashing" wasn't so much offensive as just kind of ham fisted. I just didn't think it was handled that well.

I agree. I am also a more of a Libertarian but I HATE Glen Beck and the other radical conservatives on TV like him. I didn't see the undertones of this movie as being much better for society.

I agree. I am also a more of a Libertarian but I HATE Glen Beck and the other radical conservatives on TV like him. I didn't see the undertones of this movie as being much better for society.

I always figure if you have one extreme view it's probably good to have the other one to counter balance it. As usual, I think the truth probably lies somewhere in the middle! :mug:

CNN) -- James Cameron's completely immersive spectacle "Avatar" may have been a little too real for some fans who say they have experienced depression and suicidal thoughts after seeing the film because they long to enjoy the beauty of the alien world Pandora.

On the fan forum site "Avatar Forums," a topic thread entitled "Ways to cope with the depression of the dream of Pandora being intangible," has received more than 1,000 posts from people experiencing depression and fans trying to help them cope. The topic became so popular last month that forum administrator Philippe Baghdassarian had to create a second thread so people could continue to post their confused feelings about the movie.

"I wasn't depressed myself. In fact the movie made me happy ," Baghdassarian said. "But I can understand why it made people depressed. The movie was so beautiful and it showed something we don't have here on Earth. I think people saw we could be living in a completely different world and that caused them to be depressed."

A post by a user called Elequin expresses an almost obsessive relationship with the film.

"That's all I have been doing as of late, searching the Internet for more info about 'Avatar.' I guess that helps. It's so hard I can't force myself to think that it's just a movie, and to get over it, that living like the Na'vi will never happen. I think I need a rebound movie," Elequin posted.

A user named Mike wrote on the fan Web site "Naviblue" that he contemplated suicide after seeing the movie.

"Ever since I went to see 'Avatar' I have been depressed. Watching the wonderful world of Pandora and all the Na'vi made me want to be one of them. I can't stop thinking about all the things that happened in the film and all of the tears and shivers I got from it," Mike posted. "I even contemplate suicide thinking that if I do it I will be rebirthed in a world similar to Pandora and the everything is the same as in 'Avatar.' "

Other fans have expressed feelings of disgust with the human race and disengagement with reality.

Cameron's movie, which has pulled in more than $1.4 billion in worldwide box office sales and could be on track to be the highest grossing film of all time, is set in the future when the Earth's resources have been pillaged by the human race. A greedy corporation is trying to mine the rare mineral unobtainium from the planet Pandora, which is inhabited by a peace-loving race of 7-foot tall, blue-skinned natives called the Na'vi.

In their race to mine for Pandora's resources, the humans clash with the Na'vi, leading to casualties on both sides. The world of Pandora is reminiscent of a prehistoric fantasyland, filled with dinosaur-like creatures mixed with the kinds of fauna you may find in the deep reaches of the ocean. Compared with life on Earth, Pandora is a beautiful, glowing utopia.

Ivar Hill posts to the "Avatar" forum page under the name Eltu. He wrote about his post-"Avatar" depression after he first saw the film earlier this month.

"When I woke up this morning after watching Avatar for the first time yesterday, the world seemed ... gray. It was like my whole life, everything I've done and worked for, lost its meaning," Hill wrote on the forum. "It just seems so ... meaningless. I still don't really see any reason to keep ... doing things at all. I live in a dying world."

Reached via e-mail in Sweden where he is studying game design, Hill, 17, explained that his feelings of despair made him desperately want to escape reality.

"One can say my depression was twofold: I was depressed because I really wanted to live in Pandora, which seemed like such a perfect place, but I was also depressed and disgusted with the sight of our world, what we have done to Earth. I so much wanted to escape reality," Hill said.

Cameron's special effects masterpiece is very lifelike, and the 3-D performance capture and CGI effects essentially allow the viewer to enter the alien world of Pandora for the movie's 2½-hour running time, which only lends to the separation anxiety some individuals experience when they depart the movie theater.

"Virtual life is not real life and it never will be, but this is the pinnacle of what we can build in a virtual presentation so far," said Dr. Stephan Quentzel, psychiatrist and Medical Director for the Louis Armstrong Center for Music and Medicine at Beth Israel Medical Center in New York. "It has taken the best of our technology to create this virtual world and real life will never be as utopian as it seems onscreen. It makes real life seem more imperfect."

Fans of the movie may find actor Stephen Lang, who plays the villainous Col. Miles Quaritch in the film, an enemy of the Na'vi people and their sacred ground, an unlikely sympathizer. But Lang says he can understand the connection people are feeling with the movie.

"Pandora is a pristine world and there is the synergy between all of the creatures of the planet and I think that strikes a deep chord within people that has a wishfulness and a wistfulness to it," Lang said. "James Cameron had the technical resources to go along with this incredibly fertile imagination of his and his dream is built out of the same things that other peoples' dreams are made of."

The bright side is that for Hill and others like him -- who became dissatisfied with their own lives and with our imperfect world after enjoying the fictional creation of James Cameron -- becoming a part of a community of like-minded people on an online forum has helped them emerge from the darkness.

"After discussing on the forums for a while now, my depression is beginning to fade away. Having taken a part in many discussions concerning all this has really, really helped me," Hill said. "Before, I had lost the reason to keep on living -- but now it feels like these feelings are gradually being replaced with others."

Quentzel said creating relationships with others is one of the keys to human happiness, and that even if those connections are occurring online they are better than nothing.

"Obviously there is community building in these forums," Quentzel said. "It may be technologically different from other community building, but it serves the same purpose."

Within the fan community, suggestions for battling feelings of depression after seeing the movie include things like playing "Avatar" video games or downloading the movie soundtrack, in addition to encouraging members to relate to other people outside the virtual realm and to seek out positive and constructive activities.

Interesting article...

Saw it in 3D and only paid $9.00. Must be the exception. The story was predictable. If you consider yourself politically conservative you will be mildly offended by the America/Army/Capitalism bashing. I wasn't offended at all though. The special effect are unlike anything else seen ever though. You need to see it on the big screen just for this.

This movie didn't bash capitalism or the military. It bashed thievery, unscrupulous corporations, and murder. All of which deserve to be bashed.

there was an article yesterday on yahoo about some groups about the movie promoting racist views. I swear that some groups will never be happy.

It is a little heavy handed and preachy in parts. Summary: Most white people are bad, and blue people are good. Rich white people are worse, and rich white people with guns are the worst.

There seemed to be plenty of black soldiers to me.

This movie didn't bash capitalism or the military. It bashed thievery, unscrupulous corporations, and murder. All of which deserve to be bashed.

Completely agree. If you think its bashing America/Military, you weren't paying enough attention to realize this was corporate mercenaries.

there was an article yesterday on yahoo about some groups about the movie promoting racist views. I swear that some groups will never be happy.

Some people can't seem to realize that it IS POSSIBLE to discuss culture differences without being a racist. Cultures behave differently. Honestly, if the corporate head could of stepped away from his racism, the whole thing probably would have worked out. "Racism causes problems" is probably a pretty decent message.

Back