did i end up 10 points high? beer smith + sugar addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevea1210

Reaction score
I brewed my ginger saison today (recipe here) .

OG was suposed to be 1.062. I ended up getting 1.061, not bad. However, I beleive the 1.062 was supposed to include the lb of turbinado that I haven't put in yet. If I delete that from the recipe, the og drops to 1.053. I did check the box to indicate adding after the boil.

So when I add the sugar in 2-3 days, that will add another 9 points to the gravity. Does that make sense, or am I missing something? BTW I am using beersmith.

That makes sense. Pure sugar is definately going to bring the gravity a good amount. I didn't see anywhere in the recipe that tells you to wait 2-3 days for the sugar. Were you supposed to do this, or did you forget to add it?

It was on purpose. A tip I had read concerning saisons was to let the majority of fermentation complete, then add the sugar. That will give the yeast a strong desert to chew through to help dry the beer out even further. I plan on adding it around day 3 of fermentation.

Another piece of info. I have my efficiency set at 75%. I have recently been fluctuating between 75% an 80%, with a few dropping to closer to 70%.

If I leave the sugar in the recipe, it states my efficiency is 70%. If I remove it from the recipe, it puts my efficiency at 82%. Whil both of those numbers are plausible, this brew went extremely well. I would believe the 82 over the 70. I am leaning towards ending up at the 9 points over, but would still like a few more opinions.

Back