Wyeast Kolsch and Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AnOldUR

fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The Wyeast website lists the styles of beer that are appropriate for their different strains. Kolsch 2565 has “American Wheat or Rye Beer” as one of them. I had brewed a Kolsch a few weeks ago using that yeast. This Saturday I had some time to kill so mixed up a Roggen wort and pitched the Kolsch slurry on it. It’s doing its job at about 63 degrees in my basement.

Has anyone here tried this yeast with a wheat or rye, or have any thought of how it will finish?

When I make my Roggenbier, I use Wyeast 3056. That strain gets the typical banana/cloviness with some other interest fruity notes.

If I can get off my lazy arse and bottle some this week, I'll have a sixer for you when we meet up.

When I make my Roggenbier, I use Wyeast 3056. That strain gets the typical banana/cloviness with some other interest fruity notes.
Yeah, the other two Ryes I brewed used wheat yeast, but I was surprised to see Wyeast give the wheat/rye style guideline to a Kolsch yeast. Thought it might be worth a try, but was hoping someone had experience with it.

I did a 3 ½ gallon batch so I could ferment in an freed up 5 gallon carboy. The recipe I came up with was 50% flaked rye. I was expecting lautering problems. The first running was a little slow, but both batch sparges went well. The half pound of rice hulls must of done the trick. Hopped this one with Williamette.

If I can get off my lazy arse and bottle some this week, I'll have a sixer for you when we meet up.
Either way, looking forward to the meeting.

Back