Palm Sugar (and Tripel recipe)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GatorNutz

Reaction score
I just brewed a Belgian Tripel this weekend (my own attempt at a recipe), and used 100% Palm Sugar for the first time (recipe below).

One thing, there were some very strange particles in the boil. Almost like the poached egg drippings in Chinese egg-drop-soup. Sort of a gelatinous goo. It was mostly small threads, but some of it congealed into blobs about .5" in diameter. I scooped most of it out with my strainer, but there was still some in the wort when I moved to primary. I'm sure it will settle.

Anyone ever notice this? Is this from the Palm Sugar? Perhaps fibers or starches from the Palm?

Anyway, the wort tastes awesome, so I'm hopeful. Very promising!

Batch Size: 5.5G
OG: 1.082
SRM: 6.4
IBU: 30.8

Mash
13.0 lbs Belgian Pilsener Malt
0.50 lbs Belgian Aromatic Malt
0.25 lbs Belgian Biscuit Malt

Mash: 4.26G at 148F for 90 minutes
Sparge: 6G at 168F for 45 minutes

Collect 7.5G into boil pot

Boil
@90min 1.5lbs Belgian Candi Syrup
@90min 0.5lbs Palm Sugar
@90min 1.5oz Hallertauer Mittelfruh (4.4%AA @ 18.8 IBU)
@90min 0.5oz Saaz (4.4%AA @ 6.3 IBU)
@30min 0.5oz Hallertauer Mittelfruh (4.4%AA @ 4.5 IBU)
@15min Zest of half of a Tangelo
@15min Zest of half of a Sour/Bitter Orange
@15min 1 tsp Crushed Coriander
@15min 1 tsp Irish Moss
@5min 0.5oz Czech Saaz (4.4%AA @ 1.2 IBU)

Ferment
15ppm O2
Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity

if you don't mind me asking, where did you find the real palm sugar?

thanks.

Evets said:
I don't know anything about palm sugar but to recipe looks great! Good luck!

Thanks! I studied many recipes including several Clones and followed the preachings of Randy Mosher ("Radical Brewing") and Stan Hieronymus ("Brew Like a Monk"). I also got a lot of help from my buddy Brian (a Belgian expert).

coyote said:
if you don't mind me asking, where did you find the real palm sugar?

I found it at an Asian Supermarket called "Super H Mart" in Johns Creek, GA (North Atlanta, near Alpharetta). They have a great selection of interesting ingredients; and most are organic.

I bought a disc of "Palm Sugar Candy", which is perfectly round and very hard. It tastes like rich fudge. VERY tasty by itself. I believe it was ~$1.50 for 17oz.

They also had some in a jar that was an extremely thick syrup. I may try that next time since the raw sugar syrups typically bring more flavor to the table (as with hard Belgian Candi vs. the Belgian Candi Syrup from which it is made).

Here is a picture of the Palm Sugar.
PalmSugar.jpg

Back