Overcarbonation Scare

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mongrell

Reaction score
I use beer smith and brewed a dark belgian, beer smith tells me to use however many oz of priming sugar for correct carbonation for the style. I do so, bottle and when I have 10+ extra bottles left I realize that I lost about a gallon during a fermentation accident. So should I be afraid of exploding bottles since I used sugar for a 5gal batch on a 4gal batch? What can I do to fix it if so?

Don't worry. At worst, it'll just be slightly over carbed. You'd have to do something like put a 5gal dose of priming sugar in 1 gal of beer to begin worrying about bottle bombs. From what I understand, most bottle bombs come from bottling too early.

You might get bottle fountains. I've done precisely what you've said, with Belgians too, no less, and twice, and if it feels like it it geysers out like menthos and coke. But no explosions.

Belgian ales are suppose to be high in carbonation... In the range of 4 Volumes of CO2 Vs the average of 2.2 to 2.7 for most ales & lagers...

Just make sure they are cold before you open them. If you added the typical 5 oz. of priming sugar and you had attenuated completely, you should be in no danger.

TL

Back