Bottling Apfelwein to original 1-gallon apple juice jugs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CallMeZoot

Reaction score
I just mixed up my first batch of Apfelwein, and as I was rinsing the 1-gallon apple juice jugs, I wondered if I could re-use them for bottling.

A lot of my Apfelwein will be used at home only, so I don't need to do any fancy bottling. I think I'll just bottle a few six packs of 16oz bottles and then put the rest into these gallon jugs to refrigerate and serve into glasses.

Is there any reason not to do this? They are the big round plastic gallon jugs with plastic screw tops

Will these bottles hold up to carbonation or is there a chance of leak/explosion? (I would mix the priming sugar in the carboy before bottling, not in each individual bottle).

Thanks,
chris.

I've used them before without problem. I would not recommend carbonating in them though. You will want to drink each bottle within a day or two so it does not oxidize.

You can't carb in them but you can store still once the fermentation is complete.

Check the recycling number on the bottle, if it is a 1 then you can use them.

What you do is fill them 1/2" from the top and before capping gently squeeze the bottle to push out as much air space without over flowing the bottle. Then cap tightly. This will give you room for a little expansion if needed.

Back