Reverse pressure in primary

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bulleitb

Reaction score
So this is my second brew. first one came out great. While I was boiling the ingredients I broke my thermometer. Since it was Sunday there was really no where I could go to get a new one. I put some White Labs liquid lager yeast in the batch and Im pretty sure that the temp was over 75 degrees. Its now 24 hours later and the only visible sign of anything happening is that water from the airlock is actually being sucked into the fermenter. As soon as I put more water into the airlock it immediately gets sucked in again. Instead of pushing air out of the airlock my wort is sucking pressure in. The airlock is fine, Ive tested it. Anyone have any idea what has happened here?

Also, if a high pressure system blows (most of the central US right now) through that could do it too.

Warped04 said:
it happens to me late in the summer when we get big temp swings. I just keep an eye on it and top it up as necessary.

Top it up? Sorry Im new at this

bulleitb said:
Top it up? Sorry Im new at this

Sorry, I should have clarified. I top off the airlock with a little water when it's low. I use bottled water for my airlock. It's a 3 piece airlock. So I take off the top, add a small amount of water.

Warped04 said:
Sorry, I should have clarified. I top off the airlock with a little water when it's low. I use bottled water for my airlock. It's a 3 piece airlock. So I take off the top, add a small amount of water.

But when I put more water in it gets sucked in as soon as i put on the top piece of the airlock.

I think you are over my head with this.

I would think the temps still too hot? It's tough to tell without a thermometer.

For your next batch one of these bad boys will at least give you an idea of what the temp is http://morebeer.com/view_product/18684/.

Does the beer still feel warm? What's the ambient temp? Is there pressure on the airlock even without water? A little water at all in it?

My batch of edworts apfelwein did that suck back durin the first 24 hours or so, Never seen a beer do it, but I'm goin to do my primary in glass this saturday instead of a plastic bucket so I might see it.

What kind of airlock? What kind of fermenter? If you are using anything plastic and if you push on it the defection will cause the air to escape then create a back pressure. You can pop the lid, only a crack, then reseal. This should equalize the pressure completely.

Beerrific said:
What kind of airlock? What kind of fermenter? If you are using anything plastic and if you push on it the defection will cause the air to escape then create a back pressure. You can pop the lid, only a crack, then reseal. This should equalize the pressure completely.

So you think I should open it a bit and let some air in the fermenter? Its a plastic bucket and a plastic airlock by the way. Thanks a lot man I appreciate the help.

bulleitb said:
So you think I should open it a bit and let some air in the fermenter? Its a plastic bucket and a plastic airlock by the way. Thanks a lot man I appreciate the help.

If you can't keep liquid in the airlock then, yeah, I think that is what I would do. Is it an s-type or 3 piece? Are you sure you are pushing down on it when you put the cap on? That would cause more suction.

Right. Or, just pull the airlock off to allow some air in there and then stick it back on. What happens is when the wort cools, it forms a vacuum. Just break the vacuum and you'll be all set. Next time, cool the wort down before airlocking, especially for a lager. Lagers should be fermented around 50 degrees or so.

Beerrific said:
If you can't keep liquid in the airlock then, yeah, I think that is what I would do. Is it an s-type or 3 piece? Are you sure you are pushing down on it when you put the cap on? That would cause more suction.

3 piece. Yeah Im pushing down. Its almost like theres no air in there at all

bulleitb said:
3 piece. Yeah Im pushing down. Its almost like theres no air in there at all

Well, don't push down on it, since that will cause suction and suck the liquid into the fermenter. Relieve the pressure to stop the vacuum.

You might be over filling too. Do you see the line? Sanitize everything, pull the airlock off, fill with liquid, cap, then put it back on trying not to push too hard.

Some folks also like to fill their airlocks with cheap vodka instead of water.

The theory is that if water gets sucked in there is a risk of infection. With vodka, if you do get suck back, all you've done is add a little alcohol.

Back