First batch of cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustang64

Reaction score
I started my first cider yesterday. I did 12 gallons divided up into 3 batches (3-3-6) trying different yeast strains for each. For each 3 gallon batch (double for 6gal batch) I used 2tbs each of honey and brown sugar. I dissolved them in some hot water on the stove and mulled that with some cloves, allspice, cinnamon and orange peels. I filtered the mixture and added that to the cider. For the 6gal batch I used Lalvin 71B-1122 yeast and for the 3gal batches I used Lalvin ICV D-47 and EC-1118. I plan on racking in about 8 days, bottling about 3 weeks after, and aging in the bottles for another couple weeks. Should be ready just in time for christmas...

I'll post more as the brew progresses.

Robert.

That may not be long enough... you should consider 2 weeks to a month in primary, followed with another couple weeks or a month in secondary... cider takes a while (especially if you used honey) to finish...

If you want it still (non-carbonated), I would recommend a month in primary, a month in secondary, then bulk aging for 3-6 months... but at least a month in primary and a couple weeks in secondary before bottling...

Thanks for the advice, I've been going on what the folks at the local winery and a few other brewing buddies have given me. I probably will let it ferment another few days then and rack it a bit longer... I'm a pretty patient guy.

The brew is on day 3 and is fermenting quite well going at about 24-30 bubbles per minute out of the airlock with a nice white foam at the top. I have to admit it makes for a very pleasant smell as I have the brew in my bedroom since it's too cold(25-35F) in the garage.

It's day 9 and the fermentation is still going strong. I'm getting about 20-30 bubbles per minute out the airlock. I took a gravity reading this evening and I'm down to 1.010 in all 3 batches (OG ~1.080). I tasted a bit of each just for kicks and it tastes like a mildly sweet champagne now plus a little yeasty taste obviously. I plan on racking probably somewhere around tuesday morning or wednesday evening.

That means I'll have some extra carboys sittin around... time for a batch of mead perhaps.

Back