When I store OneStep cleaner sanitizer in anything plastic funky white stuff appears

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dallasdb

Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else has experience this but everytime I store One step cleaner sanitizer in my plastic fermentation bucket or my plastic better bottle carboy white stuff always appears.

I never use to have this issue with my glass carboys.

It Clumps together and looks like a cloud of goop. It sinks to the bottom and stays together pretty well.

I decanted the extra sanitizer and have it in a Mason jar but it's pretty cloudy right now I can post a pic when it clears.

Does anybody know what it might be?

I use starsan and if I let it sit or if anything sits in it too long there is a film that develops. I have no idea if this is a bad thing or not but I try to avoid if at all possible.

Here are some pics. It looks granular but clumps together and is pretty gooey.

ForumRunner_20120826_152217.jpg

ForumRunner_20120826_152226.jpg

ForumRunner_20120826_152233.jpg

ForumRunner_20120826_152240.jpg

How much did you use? Recommendation is 1 tbsp/gallon. It looks like you have a couple of cups there.

OneStep, I believe is sodium percarbonate, which yields oxygen and sodium carbonate in water. Same stuff as OxiClean.

The stuff is highly soluble up to a point, then it just stops. The attendant at the laundromat complains that OxiClean sets up in the cups of the washers and he has to scrape it out. I use a small amount with no problem.

My guess is that you are using a bunch of it in hot water and it precipitates out when it cools.

Also why store it? The oxygen goes out of solution in a few hours. Mix it fresh each time.

Wynne-r,
I only used 1 tbs per gallon with hot water. The picture may look like a lot but it was from 5 gallons and I decanted the rest until it fit into the mason jar pictured. It could definitely be OneStep that fell out of solution but it looks coagulated more than grainy.

I had no idea the cleaner lost it's power after only a few hours! The reason I store it is because OneStep isn't cheap and if I need cleaner/sanitizer a couple days or 1 week after I mix it I didn't see the point in tossing it out.

Thanks for replying! If OneStep isn't good after being stored I may just have to give in to PBW and StarSan. It's just so convenient to have an all in one solution.

I recommend oxiclean free for cleaning (much cheaper than PBW) and starsan for sanitizing.

dallasdb said:
Do you mix the Oxyclean with TSP-90?

I've seen threads of guys doing that and saying it is almost identical to PBW or comparable cleaner.

Thanks

Nope. I don't mix the oxiclean with anything else. I measure to the one mark in the included measuring cup then mix with 5 gal of warm to hot water, soak the container, dump the solution, then rinse container with hot water. There's tons of info on this site regarding oxiclean. I started with PBW then switched to oxiclean and I haven't noticed any difference between the two.

Back