This is disgusting...is this an infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cool guys, thanks for the advice. I kind of said F it and racked it over to the secondary. It doesn't smell bad it just looks bad, but then again I've only made three batches so far, so I don't know what I'm looking for. It tastes like an Imp Hef but it also has a very strong alcohol taste. Will that mellow out at all or is that a sign that there could be a potential problem?
The beer is very, very dark almost black. Is that the true coloring for imperial Hef?

So this is the same beer 12 days later. This looks so gross. Should I try racking it to a secondary?

View attachment 73486

If you want to see nasty you should check out the "Post your infection" thread in the wild/lambic section. Just remind yourself that it isn't nasty unless it can hurt you, and nothing that grows in your beer can kill you.

This is life at its very best, making you something that not only tastes great when it's done but that makes you feel good too. It's beautiful!

Cool guys, thanks for the advice. I kind of said F it and racked it over to the secondary. It doesn't smell bad it just looks bad, but then again I've only made three batches so far, so I don't know what I'm looking for. It tastes like an Imp Hef but it also has a very strong alcohol taste. Will that mellow out at all or is that a sign that there could be a potential problem?
The beer is very, very dark almost black. Is that the true coloring for imperial Hef?
1) Why are you using a "seconday"?
2) What yeast and what were your ferm temps? Was ferm temp stable?
3) Recipe?

Imperial=high alcohol content=more time needed. Brewing should not be this stressful for you.rdwhahb.

Back