Getting biggest starter in a 2L flask

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gregkeller

Reaction score
Ok so the title pretty much says it. I'm making an ipa that is supposed to come in around 1.070. Want a nice big starter. I'm building it up from a slant. It's currently in 80 ml of wort and tomorrow will step it up to 400 or so ml. Then is where I need some advise. If I pitch that directly into my 2L flask I'll get a decent population. Is there anything I can do to make it even bigger without going to a bigger flask? If I put it in 2L of wort let it rip for a day or two, then decant the spent wort and add another 2l of fresh wort will that grow the population or is it already at carrying capacity after the first 2L run? Thanks in advance

Ok so the title pretty much says it. I'm making an ipa that is supposed to come in around 1.070. Want a nice big starter. I'm building it up from a slant. It's currently in 80 ml of wort and tomorrow will step it up to 400 or so ml. Then is where I need some advise. If I pitch that directly into my 2L flask I'll get a decent population. Is there anything I can do to make it even bigger without going to a bigger flask? If I put it in 2L of wort let it rip for a day or two, then decant the spent wort and add another 2l of fresh wort will that grow the population or is it already at carrying capacity after the first 2L run? Thanks in advance

It will grow more. Put your stepped starters into Yeastcalc.com .

It will tell you how many yeast you'll end up with.

As the post above me states you can make a huge starter in a 2L flask. All you have to do is keep stepping till you hit the numbers your looking for. Just use a yeast calculator to see a estimate of cell growth. This also works a lot faster if you have a sitr plate.

Back