Tight Stout Faucet

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doggage

Reaction score
I recently mounted a new stout faucet on my keezer. The faucet didn't appear to have been used, but it's very difficult to pull the handle down. I don't have it hooked up to any beer, because I ran out of CO2...and beer. Yes, I'm in a sorry state.

Anyhow, it's scraping very hard on the black plastic spacer when I try to pull down. Almost as if that spacer shouln't be there, but it clearly needs to be. Any suggestions? Is there an adjustment somewhere I'm missing? Thanks.

kdk_0418.jpg

-Anthony

I dont have my stout faucet in front of me... unfortunately... this is what work does to me :( but I bought one used off of Ebay (20 bucks, wohoo!) and it appears there is either a part missing from mine or it has just been loosened due to use. I don't claim to know much about stout faucets, as I havent even poured a full keg through mine yet, but if yours is new the spring inside may not compress easily?

If you choose to take it apart, here is a diagram on how to get it back together:
19.gif

PS: The handle on mine is VERY loose, kind of to the point where it flops around a little bit. I believe I'm missing part number 6 on that list, but as it hasn't affected the operation of the tap, nor its sealing qualities, I'm fine with it.

Yup, I bet it is. That's what makes mine so ridiculously tight. In fact, that number 6 part (the black plastic spacer) makes it so tight that it's scraping little plastic shavings when I try to pull the handle. Frustrating...

I'd still like to get this fixed, though. Can't be normal. I know a stout faucet requires high serving pressure (25 psi) but I don't see how that's going to fix the problem.

I bought a guinness branded stout faucet on ebay. The tall handles on them are very loose feeling, and it takes some pressure to bend the handle down if your handle is short like yours. I broke off the Guinness handle and drilled/taped for 3/8-16 so I could mount other handles on, and with my short shift knob it takes more effort. Your faucet is a little different than mine. Maybe adding some lube to the black plastic part would help, or adding a thin stainless fender washer between them?
BTW in case you don't know stout serving uses normal carbonation but higher pressure from the 75% nitrogen 25% co2 beergas mix and that's what gives you the creamy stout pour. If you use high pressure and straight co2 you will have foam.

Back