Chemical taste in first brewing attempt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

googoochummer

Reaction score
Used a "kit" for first brewing attempt. It had canned wort and a packet of yeast. I sanitized with cbrite for 30 minutes and rinsed. Bottled about a week ago (I know, I need more patience, but I had to try it:), it has a good appropriate Hefeweizen smell and good carbonation, but it has a slight chemical taste. I can't quite put my finger on it. My husband said chlorine, but I didn't think chlorine (we don't have chlorinated water and I didn't clean with chlorine). Just slightly chemical. I have read posts that say I should've secondary fermented until taste improved? I just followed the directions and it said to bottle after 4 to 6 days when hydrometer reading stayed steady for 2 days. I bottled after 7 days. Will this taste go away, or should I start over?
Thanks in advance for any advice!

My guess is that you didn't rinse the C-Brite well enough. The C stands for Chlorine.

Also try to stay away from extract that comes in metal cans. This leads to a metallic taste in your beer that is referred to as extract twang. The extract is not the problem, just the metal can.

Buy from a place that sells the extract in bulk.

Forrest

I'll 2nd what Forest says (AustinHomeBrew).

The taste MIGHT go away. Stay away from canned kits and buy quality materials and just keep learning.

Making beer is easy but so is playing chess. Makeing REAL good beer just taks patience (a lot) and lots of little things that all add together into great beer.

Back