Blonde Ale Miller Lite (Really Triple Hopped)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, I am going to try WLP099 for this. At lower gravities it shouldn't produce much for an ester profile. Then I can use the cake to step up for my IIPA.

I never secondary, but I will probably drop the AE in primary @ 7days, and see what happens. The beer had great clarity last time with no AE for 14 days. Do you typically add it similar to adding gelatin? (sterile water solution, only a few ounces of water).

No, I just dump the AE in with a measuring teaspoon, then syphon onto the AE.

this is getting hi tech. I approve. Still hate the target beer but I can't wait to see what you wonderful wizards come up with

this is getting hi tech. I approve. Still hate the target beer but I can't wait to see what you wonderful wizards come up with

This beer is way better than Miller Lite. Its like the 70s pilsners with real hop flavor. Its very easy drinking for the masses but an accomplishment for a all grain brewer. That being making a perfect defect-free clean crisp light beer without temperature controls, extensive lagering or filtering. And of course not breaking the bank to make make such a beer.

I still haven't added the AE and done a secondary. I have made this recipe 5 times so far and will be serving it at a wedding this weekend, FG at 1.009, so low ABV. It is pretty solid, just a little heavy for what it is.

The AE will get it down to 1.000....

If you plan to drink it this weekend it too late to add AE.

You should do it one of these times bumps the ABV and makes super crisp and dry.

You said five times. Do you normally do the AE?

On my 3rd batch. Love it. I'm actually going to increase the dry hop and late hops ever so slightly till its perfect.

Any one have suggestions. On other hop combinations?

Sounds like you enjoy drinking this one.

I don't really drink it like my BMC drinking friends drink it. It is just a solid beer to have on tap that can appease a large crowd of people.

Over the weekend I served 10 gallons of this, as well as other beers, to a group of 100 people at a wedding. Everyone liked it a lot. The next time I will do a full secondary with the AE.

On my 3rd batch. Love it. I'm actually going to increase the dry hop and late hops ever so slightly till its perfect.

Any one have suggestions. On other hop combinations?

Try noble German hops or German substitutes like (Mt Hood or Liberty) This addition makes it like a 1970s beer or more like a traditional European Pilsner.

You could do Polish or Czech hops too. Google either one "Polish Hops" or "Czech Hops"

Reguardless of your choice, it'll rock....

I don't really drink it like my BMC drinking friends drink it. It is just a solid beer to have on tap that can appease a large crowd of people.

Over the weekend I served 10 gallons of this, as well as other beers, to a group of 100 people at a wedding. Everyone liked it a lot. The next time I will do a full secondary with the AE.

Wow, you must have felt great making beer that so many enjoyed.

The secondary AE will make your beer super crisp.

Just note the AE will need to chill or rest for week afterwards. It gets a very acrid dryness right after it finishes. It vanishes after a few days to a week on gas or bottled.

The dryness boosts your ABV. That's good...

How hoppy does it taste with the Cascade with a flame out and dry hop of that size?

I guess I really haven't been making your beer. I have been following my own advice and Chuck's portion of the hop recipe. Small dry hops (0.25 oz), won't be any different than just changing the flameout hops by that amount.

1oz 4AA Hallertau Pellets 45'
0.5 oz 4AA Hallertau Pellets 0'

Thoughts? I haven't made it once with Cascade, I would probably dry hop with 1oz of dry hopped goodness.

Wow, you must have felt great making beer that so many enjoyed.

The secondary AE will make your beer super crisp.

Just note the AE will need to chill or rest for week afterwards. It gets a very acrid dryness right after it finishes. It vanishes after a few days to a week on gas or bottled.

The dryness boosts your ABV. That's good...

I liked that people enjoyed it. I liked more that a few people REALLY liked my Saison with WLP565 (that stubborn belgian saison yeast).

I will probably make this once more (until spring) and try using the AE.

I'm aiming for more of MGD or Miller High Life style and around 5%abv for my Canadian tastes. I put a bit of Caramunich in it just for slight color increase.
I like to do a bit of a hopstand or lower temp whirlpool hop addition.

Do you see any issues with a small whirlpool addition?
I kept IBU 19-20 with Chinook.

I tested some MGD I left overnight and it looks like it's about 1.006 or so for SG. I was thinking of adding maybe just 1/4tsp AE to try and maybe get a stop around there instead of 1.001.

Thanks for any input. I'm gonna mash later today or tomorrow.

Title: MGD My Way

Brew Method: BIAB
Style Name: American Light Lager
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 21 liters (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 25 liters
Boil Gravity: 1.035
Efficiency: 85% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.042
Final Gravity: 1.004
ABV (standard): 4.96%
IBU (tinseth): 19.53
SRM (morey): 4.05

FERMENTABLES:
2200 g - Canadian - Pale 2-Row (65.9%)
1000 g - Flaked Corn (29.9%)
140 g - German - CaraMunich II (4.2%)

HOPS:
8 g - Chinook, Type: Pellet, AA: 13, Use: Boil for 60 min, IBU: 14.36
10 g - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Boil for 30 min, IBU: 3.71
10 g - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 80 °C, IBU: 1
5 g - Mount Hood, Type: Pellet, AA: 4.8, Use: Whirlpool for 20 min at 75 °C, IBU: 0.46
14 g - Saaz, Type: Pellet, AA: 3.5, Use: Dry Hop for 7 days

MASH GUIDELINES:
1) Infusion, Temp: 64 C, Time: 75 min

OTHER INGREDIENTS:
0.5 tsp - Amylase Enzyme, Type: Other, Use: Secondary
1 each - Irish Moss, Time: 10 min, Type: Fining, Use: Boil

YEAST:
Fermentis / Safale - American Ale Yeast US-05
Starter: No
Form: Dry
Attenuation (custom): 88%
Flocculation: Medium
Optimum Temp: 12.22 - 25 C
Fermentation Temp: 18 C

Nope, just note your beer will be more like a 70s pilsner. It's going to have hop flavor and aroma without bitterness.

Has anyone figured what the calories and carbs are for the original recipe?

How high can the OG get before it changes the 'style'?

Thanks

Has anyone figured what the calories and carbs are for the original recipe?

How high can the OG get before it changes the 'style'?

Thanks

Here's a the recipe in Malt.io; Miller Light

Use the "Clone" feature then modify to your hearts content. Click on the blue style guide off to the right.

This is from their website.

At Miller Brewing Company, we put quality above all else. We’re proud of the care that goes into the production of all of our beers and have been brewing great-tasting beers with the highest-quality ingredients since 1855. From the purity of the water we use to the highest-quality hops and malted barley, our brewmasters go to great lengths to ensure the quality and consistency of our beers. They use a very special brewing process to give Miller Lite more taste at only 96 calories per 12 oz.

(Average analysis (12 fl oz): 96 cals, 3.2g carbs, <1g protein, 0.0g fat)

http://www.millerlite.com/OurBeer

Here's a the recipe in Malt.io; Miller Light

Use the "Clone" feature then modify to your hearts content. Click on the blue style guide off to the right.

This is from their website.

Thanks

I need a change of pace brew when bloated from the big beers.
I've read about 38 pages of this thread and will probably complete all steps in the primary. Wonder if upping the AE a little would hurt it,due to being in the primary?

Thanks

I need a change of pace brew when bloated from the big beers.
I've read about 38 pages of this thread and will probably complete all steps in the primary. Wonder if upping the AE a little would hurt it,due to being in the primary?

I don't think so. I'd use US-05.

I'd just use 1 tsp and that's it. I don't like to add too much of something in a light beer.

Mr Malty says use 1.2 packs of yeast, so add two.

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

This beer is excellent for testing your brewing skills. Macro-Brewery beer lovers will like it...

I like to knock back a few beers after work, if I choose to over indulge a bit its not gonna make me feel like crap the next day.

I think good triple hopped beer with high quaff-ability is nice to have one hand.

I normally prefer a German or Czech hop for this beer. Cascade is different or unusual for this beer style. Cacade seems like a ok choice for hot weather drinking.

Don't forget to post pictures....

brewing this tnight.

if im reading your recipe right... for a 10 gallon batch I mash with approx. 5 gall and batch sparge with about 8.7gall to get my preboil at 13.7gall. (depending n my equipment )

You seem to be mashing it a bit high with regards to water volume.

I typically dough in with 1.25 qrts/lb then sparge with 1.75 - 2.25 qrts/lb.

You can use this Malt IO to scale the recipe. Clone then scale it.

Miller Light Recipe

One thing to note 0.1 gallon is lost per pound of grain mashed. So you can mash-out this little extra or sparge more this approximate amount

Thanks for the reply.
I need to trust my efficiency more than I do. I should really follow recipes closer than I do also.

Ive yet to have a bad batch yet though. lol.

Heres how I ended up...(was 13.5 gall preboil)
5lbs 2 row
4lbs 6 row
3lbs corn
.5lbs rice

SG 1030 OG 1045 had top off with 1.25 gall water in order to get 5.75gall in each fermentor(never took a reading after adding water, I flat out forgot)

used hallertau and tettanger(hope that combo goes alright???)pitched 1.5 packets of sf-05 at 63 degrees fermentation fridge is to keep at 68 degrees.

Thoughts??

Thanks

Wow. Was at 1007 in just 7 days. Dryhopped and put AE straight into the primary. Was ALOT of trub still in suspension. Very light color to this beer.

If I can cut my calories in almost half and taste good I'm gonna be pumped. I've never attempted any beer this small... Will AE work in other styles of beer?

Thanks.

Wow. Was at 1007 in just 7 days. Dryhopped and put AE straight into the primary. Was ALOT of trub still in suspension. Very light color to this beer.

If I can cut my calories in almost half and taste good I'm gonna be pumped. I've never attempted any beer this small... Will AE work in other styles of beer?

Thanks.

Yeah any beer where you want it close to 1.000

My thought is to use it with light beer and still get some decent ABV.

I have done AE on any beer I want to be light, dry and crisp. So mainly a variety of hybrid light ales and cream ales. It makes the cream ale almost too dry for BJCP guidelines. You can use this with lagers too. Like the Diacetyl Rest for lagers.

The triple hopping will still leave you some favor with very little adjunct (corn, oat or rice) after taste.

I have not tried this on anything with a good malt back bone thinking it will remove that desired malt flavor. I may be wrong.

Note, AE when done does need some aging to loose the acrid sharp bitterness. You will notice this and it's distinctly different than hop bitterness and what you get from quick co2 force carbing.

Allow about two weeks after bottling/kegging.

It's going to be the clearest, and most clean, crisp beer you ever made.

Only down to 1005. Tastes like your basic light beer... Going to let it sit and force carb it in about a week or so. Was definitely a omg moment when tasting, yes... It has the Miller lite taste

Only down to 1005. Tastes like your basic light beer... Going to let it sit and force carb it in about a week or so. Was definitely a omg moment when tasting, yes... It has the Miller lite taste

It gets better with cold crashing and a few weeks on gas.

Thanks for the reply.
I need to trust my efficiency more than I do. I should really follow recipes closer than I do also.

Ive yet to have a bad batch yet though. lol.

Heres how I ended up...(was 13.5 gall preboil)
5lbs 2 row
4lbs 6 row
3lbs corn
.5lbs rice

SG 1030 OG 1045 had top off with 1.25 gall water in order to get 5.75gall in each fermentor(never took a reading after adding water, I flat out forgot)

used hallertau and tettanger(hope that combo goes alright???)pitched 1.5 packets of sf-05 at 63 degrees fermentation fridge is to keep at 68 degrees.

Thoughts??

Thanks

Any way of knowing my OG seeing how I added 1.25 gallons to get to 12_galls after boil??

Thanks

Any way of knowing my OG seeing how I added 1.25 gallons to get to 12_galls after boil??

Thanks

You need an efficiency calculator. One that allows you to put in the gravity measurement and current volume.

Do you have a smart phone? I use brewzor calculator. It's in Google play. I bet the iphone app has it.

Back