Brettanomyces dregs in the primary ... what to do?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulSarge

Reaction score
Apologies if this is well discussed on another thread. I am going to rack to secondary a 5 gallon batch of brett belgian very soon. It spent 4 weeks in the primary and the fermentation is complete.

My question is, what is a good recommendation for the dregs? I dont have a beer ready to pitch onto it but figure there is some room for an experimental batch in the near future. Should I save it or pitch over it? Ideas and thoughts appreciated : )

When you have racked the beer, swirl up the yeast and remaining liquid to make a slurry and pour into 2 sanitized quart mason jars. Store in fridge and vent every few days.

Should keep for a month without any issues. Just use one of the jars to start a new beer.

I would say a strong hoppy brown with most,if not all of the ibus coming in the last 15 mins.

When you have racked the beer, swirl up the yeast and remaining liquid to make a slurry and pour into 2 sanitized quart mason jars. Store in fridge and vent every few days.

Should keep for a month without any issues. Just use one of the jars to start a new beer.
This is the same as what I would do.

It should last several months.

thanks! I read somewhere that I can keep in a mason jar but I didnt know if it needed and airlock or venting. Any recommendations on the type of beer to pitch it into? Brett can be a little funky so I'd want to know that I was helping a beer and not hurting it :p.

Is this just brett or a brett/sacc blend? If it's the former, it's best kept at room temp rather than in the fridge.

If you're new to rinsing yeast, check out this thread.

I've never heard that, why is that?

I've never been able to measure any benefit of water washing yeast. It only succeeds in putting 95% of the viable cells down the drain IME.
http://woodlandbrew.blogspot.com/2012/12/yeast-washing-exposed.html

It's cause Chad Yakobsen says so. I don't know why.

Are you trying to say there is just as much non-yeast matter in the clean, white yeast I get after rinsing as in the yeast cake/trub I rack off of? If so, I don't believe that.

Actually, the post you reference here recommends pouring off the liquid. It simply recommends it for a reason different than usually given. It says to do this to reduce bacteria--which is itself a good thing.
Yes, that is what I have seen.

The part that I call "water washing" also commonly refereed to as "yeast washing" or "yeast rinsing" that wastes viable yeast is allowing some of it to settle and pouring off the top in a container to save. This is what dumps 95% of the viable cells down the drain.

It's cause Chad Yakobsen says so. I don't know why.

Are you trying to say there is just as much non-yeast matter in the clean, white yeast I get after rinsing as in the yeast cake/trub I rack off of? If so, I don't believe that.

Mostly yes. The post explains it, but in summary: cell counts I have done show that the viability is the same in all layers. Water washing is not successful at separating live from dead cells.

Mostly yes. The post explains it, but in summary: cell counts I have done show that the viability is the same in all layers. Water washing is not successful at separating live from dead cells.

But isn't is successful at removing non-yeast and isn't that the point?

While your mythbusting homebrewing, I saw your amazon sidebar has the 'Joy of Homebrewing'. Maybe you can tackle hot-side aeration next. :D

But isn't is successful at removing non-yeast and isn't that the point?
I have found that water washing yeast removes fruit partials well, and hop particles fairly well, but it isn't as good at removing protein. At the cost of loosing 95% of the yeast I see it as an overall loss.

What do you see as a benefit to removing the non-yeast material?

While your mythbusting homebrewing, I saw your amazon sidebar has the 'Joy of Homebrewing'. Maybe you can tackle hot-side aeration next. :D
Mythbusting homebrew. I never thought of it that way. Hot side aeration would be hard to quantify, but I'll consider it.

Back