Cooling wort test run

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjc8870

Reaction score
I am going to do my first brew in about a week. I brought my kettle pot filled with water to 170 degrees. I then made an ice bath with frozen water/soda bottles. I also poured in half of my frig ice bucket into ice bath in sink and i was able to get water to about 76 degrees in about 45 minutes.

Is this temp to high?

Is 45 minutes too long?

I believe I could shave 10-15 more minutes of time if I pour more ice into sink during cool down. My next purchase will be a wort chiller but until then, this is my only option.

Any input appreciated.

45 isn't to bad. i would suggest going to the gas station and buying 2 or 3 bags of ice and pour half in the sink with salt. the salt will get the temp lower. and also stir the wort wile it is cooling. and adding the remaining ice and the water in the sink warms up.

Purchased all the needed items to make my own wort chiller at Lowes for $36.20. Money well spent let me tell you. Just used it for the first time tonight and brought my wort down from boiling to pitching temp in 15 minutes. And now Im sitting here with beer in hand and checking out the forum rather than waiting for the temp to come down. I'd say do it, get yourself one, or build your own, took me a few minutes to assemble it .

45 isn't to bad. i would suggest going to the gas station and buying 2 or 3 bags of ice and pour half in the sink with salt. the salt will get the temp lower. and also stir the wort wile it is cooling. and adding the remaining ice and the water in the sink warms up.

I thought that the salt will make the temp higher, turning the ice on the road to water on the road so the cars don't slip and slide...

Purchased all the needed items to make my own wort chiller at Lowes for $36.20. Money well spent let me tell you. Just used it for the first time tonight and brought my wort down from boiling to pitching temp in 15 minutes. And now Im sitting here with beer in hand and checking out the forum rather than waiting for the temp to come down. I'd say do it, get yourself one, or build your own, took me a few minutes to assemble it .
can i get a list of what you bought?

Look Up bobby M's Thread he has a good tutorial on this. (You Tube It)

can i get a list of what you bought?

3/8" x 20' cooper coil (Lowes part # 311863)
6' x 2 vinyl tubing (Lowes part # 22273)
3 #4 clamps (Lowes part # 62508)
hose connector adaptor (Lowes part # 49693)
3/4 x 3/8 hose conn fex( Lowes part # 34767)

The last part is specific to the size of the tread size of the faucet that you are using. For me Im using my kitchen sink, so look at the treads and the size that you will need.

Like I said all told cost me $36.20 and worked like a charm

Back