Height for a service panel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
What say you electricians? How high should the service panel be from floor level? We have no inspections here, so that's not a problem. I just don't need to be mocked by all the electrical nazi's on here when I post a pic of my brew shed insides.:)

And is there any problem if I decide to extend my cold room, it being in there? Temp's in the mid 40's.

Thanks.

Don't know about height, but temp shouldn't be a problem. Ever been in a Server room? Those places are freezing!! The electrics like it cold. :D

I don't think there is a code for the height. I always put panels at an easy working height for when i am wiring them up. usaually the bottom of the panel starting at just above waist height. (that is for full length panels) If you are using a smaller sub panel, i would put it at chest height.

As for the cold. Like IrregularPulse said. Electric components love the cold. There is no problems putting it in a room 40 degrees. I wish my air conditioner keep my server room at 40. It costs us enough to keep it at 60.

The only thing I know is they need 3' or some-such space in all directions for access. I.e., can't be stacked behind stuff.

I haven't heard a height one, but I am sure the NEC has a range.

Found this on another questions and answer site.

The NEC doesn't mandate a minimum mounting height for panelboards or disconnects. However, per the requirements of 404.8(A), switches and circuit breakers used as switches shall be installed so the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, isn't more than 6 ft, 7 in. above the floor or working platform.

Exception No. 2 to 404.8(A) permits switches and circuit breakers used as switches to be mounted higher than 6 ft, 7 in. if they're located adjacent to the equipment they supply and if accessible by portable means.

Note that 550.32(F) requires the outdoor mobile home disconnect to be installed so the bottom of the enclosure isn't less than 2 ft above finished grade or working platform.

And what about that meter enclosure? There is no rule in the NEC pertaining to the mounting height of a meter enclosure. However, the local electric utility will have a requirement in their specifications manual.

There are all sorts of requirements under NEC but 3' min above finished floor is a good standard for the bottom the panel.

So I stumped the County Code guys. (I work on the same floor as the code inspectors. I fix their computers.) They got out their IRC code books and could not find anything. They suggested calling the state electrical code inspector for the area. I imagine he will probably tell me what I posted earlier from the NEC book.

I was called a "Code Nazi" hence no direct numbers, height, amperage ratings per NEC. Maybe I should just post a picture of my Third Reich 1937 Nazi Bier Stein resting on top of a NEC Code Book instead? LOL, one must be "PC" these days ya know. Below a double post delete. I had many NASTY PM's by the "POL" in the past, this cured me of electrical replies sorry boss. Maybe "CodeRage" will chime in?

Thanks to all, I will probably put the top at eye level so it's easy to wire in. My old man will gripe if he has to stoop over to far.:mug:
Nothing like a good electrical question to get everyone going. I swear an electrical debate forum would wipe the old forum out.:D

And Beemer, I aint the Pol, I know my poo stinks.

I would actually like to see that picture. My buddy (old electrician boss) would love to have that picture....:rockin:

I looked into it more with our code guys. They say as long as the height of the ceiling in the room from floor to ceiling is 6'5" or higher and unobstructed.Then you should be fine. Taking into consideration that you need 36" minimum of clear space in front of the panel.

So anywhere around chest height for the main disconnect should keep you safe.

Another question perhaps? I have a square D 100amp 6 space 12 circuit panel. I plan 2 30 amp 240 lines. 1 circuit for air conditioner, 1 for just pumps and whatnot. 1 for the rest of the outlets, and 1 for freezers until the cold room is done. The lights will all be run off my garage circuit. What else do I need to plan for? Do I really need 2 240v lines?

I would gladly send it forward if I can get it out of the old Gateway that had a total HD failure, lost 8 years of photos amd information. The $300 plus price to pull the HD is too steep for me at this time, your on my "must send it to me list".
Brewmoor, send me a PM with your email address I took a couple photos that i'll sent to ya. Carl.

Back