johnson A419 mounting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krenshaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i'm currently ordering/assembling the components for my keezer and just had a question for the lot of you.. i am making a dual hinge keezer and am going to use a Johnson A419 for the temperature regulation.. i was wondering the best way to mount the probe on the inside.. my assumption is that it should probably be located about halfway down the keezer, just for the sake of an average temperature..

because i have the 2 hinge design, i didn't want to make it too firmly secured to the freezer because of the cord being moved up and down if i open via the collar hinge.. i wasn't sure from all of the other postings on here if the temp can touch the freezer wall, or if i need to use some sort of insulation.. i could mount it and just be sure to put enough slack in the cord before i seal up the hole so it would be able to open/close freely..

i will have a fan installed so if it doesn't matter where it is mounted i would probably put it closer to the collar, but like i said since cold air drops i would probably want it closer to the bottom correct? thanks!

Hi

You will get a *lot* of debate on this.

1) get some stick on zip tie mounts and use them to lock down the probe on the inside of the freezer. That way it's not going to move around as much.

2) There are coils in the walls of the freezer. Depending where you put things you will be closer to / further from the cooling coils. That will affect your setting.

3) Taping the probe to the wall with aluminum tape works pretty well. You indeed want a location about half way down the wall. The other common alternative is to put it in a bottle of water.

4) Regardless of where the probe is, the temperature of the beer will be a bit different than the set point on the controller. You will need to spend a bit of time getting things tweaked to perfection. Fortunately it's a one time thing.

Regardless of how you mount the probe, you want it to always be in the same location. If it moves, you throw off your calibration. That's a pain...

Bob

Regardless of how you mount the probe, you want it to always be in the same location. If it moves, you throw off your calibration. That's a pain...

Bob

thanks, this is really what i was looking for.. i'll probably end up securing it most of the way down and then leaving some slack at the cord up top so it can move a bit when the collar hinge is opened.. thanks!

Back