Malto Dextrin and Lactose

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tigerface

Reaction score
Hello all. Quick question. I have used 8 oz of Malto Dextrin in my brews with good success. I plan on using Lactose to sweeten my brews. Sorghum gives a bitter after taste and I would like to sweeten it up a tad. Now, both are largely unfermentable so would 8 oz of Malto Dextrin and say 4 or more oz of Lactose make beer too thick? Should I go with 4 oz of both and still get mouthfeel and sweetening effect. Or maybe use 3 lbs Sorghum extract and 3 lbs Brown Rice Syrup to cut down on Sorghumy taste. Also, how much of Lactose would it take to impart a difference in taste? Please help. :confused:

I have not used lactose in conjunction with maltodextrin, but if I did I would keep the maltodextrin at 8 ozs and go ahead with the lactose amount as planned (4 ozs). As far as adding brown rice syrup to cut down on the sorghum taste, I rarely do that any more. I typically use sorghum as the main fermentable and only use brown rice syrup to boost gravity.

Good luck with the maltodextrin/lactose combination. Would you mind posting your results?

I do a chocolate stout that uses 8 oz maltodextrine and 1lb of lactose. It's delicious. Velvety mouth feel and the sweetness really balances out the bitterness from the roasted grains.

I do a chocolate stout that uses 8 oz maltodextrine and 1lb of lactose. It's delicious. Velvety mouth feel and the sweetness really balances out the bitterness from the roasted grains.

Wow. 1 lb. And you say your Stout is delicious. That isnt too sweet? I only want a little bit of sweeteness to offset the Sorghum and hops. I love Magnum an Fuggles

Back