Should I Upgrade Burner or Not??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

virginiawolf

Reaction score
I currently have 2 turkey fryer type burners one for hot water
One for boil They work well but...

I worry about the weight of 14 gallons wort on them and I'm not sure if the grass would be greener with different burners
The reviews I read on The Blichmann burners at northern brewer werent that great
What does anyone reccomend I brew 10 gallon batches

Also... I have natural gas at the house Should I tap onto that instead of buying propane?
Please respond Thank You, Curious Virginia

I guess it depends on how strong those burners are and how bad you want to go to natural gas.

I'd think it would be very nice to use natural gas. No more more worries about filling up tanks, tanks freezing or running out during the boil. That would be very convenient but is it worth the expense is up to you.

I have some of the Bayou classic brand propane burners. I have the SP1 jet style burner and the KAB6 banjo style burner. I use them to make 10-11 gallon batches with 14-15 gallons pre-boil. Both are plenty strong for holding 15+ gallons of boiling wort. The KAB6 has a VERY BEEFY steel frame. It could probably hold 50 gallons or more.

I'm not sure if these can be used with natural gas. I suspect the KAB6 could but the SP1 not. The SP1 is also very very loud. Kinda like a jet engine. Some call the SP1 the conversation killer". The KBA6 is whisper quite. Both put out roughly the same amount of heat.

go natural gas.

I bought a turkey fryer kit (propane)

I have a natural gas stub for my bbq

I soon realized that there wasn't a conversion kit out there and i didn't want to drill out all the holes.

I bought the 23 tip natural gas burner for $25 and modified my turkey fryer stand to accept it.

I now have a NG burner with quick disconnect hooked up in the backyard and i'll be tapping into my gas line in the garage so I can brew in there as well.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/na...onversion-build-91020/index2.html#post2401956

-=Jason=-

Thank You, I really appreciate your input. I will look into the burners you reccomended.
The burners I have work well but it seems a little shady to have a massivie keg of wort on what was designed for a much smaller pot. I realize I need to research this subject more on my own but I figured Id post this in hope someone on the forum could steer me in the right direction. This is a great help.
Thank You!!
Virginia Wolf

Back