Bell's in Richmond!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

todd_k

Reaction score
I just saw 5 or 6 different types of Bell's at the beer store tonight. At $9 a six pack I passed it over but I find it odd that it's not in Chicago but it is in Richmond now. I saw the amber, porter, stout, cream double stout, and another one or two I can't remember.
I also saw that Santa's Butt porter that is getting all the free press due to the label in Maine.

Sweet....I gotta get me some of that double cream stout. I found the Two-Hearted Ale yesterday at a beer store in Smithfield, and I picked up the pale ale while we were in Chicago over Thanksgiving.

Yes, it's brewed in Michigan. :D

The Two Hearted Ale was one of the ones I couldn't remember.

Yeah I think you're right, Michigan I think. :drunk: :D

They had some in Springfield right before T-Giving, but only about 3 cases. A mix of the Pale Ale, and something else but I can't remember. Shame I won't be able to get it after it's gone. Fine beer. One of the guys at the store seemed to think something might happen distribution-wise to get it back in a year or so, but I'm not betting on it. They have quite the lineup of Stouts I wanted to try. :(

Ize

Count me among those that are p!ssed they won't be available in Illinois anymore.

Anyways, does anyone remember the Harry Magills Spiced Stout they had a few years back? I loved that beer. I was really disappointed that they never brewed that again.

I'd love to try to come up with a recipe similar to that, but it's been so long since I've had one that I wouldn't know where to start.

Phan71 said:
Count me among those that are p!ssed they won't be available in Illinois anymore.

Anyways, does anyone remember the Harry Magills Spiced Stout they had a few years back? I loved that beer. I was really disappointed that they never brewed that again.

I'd love to try to come up with a recipe similar to that, but it's been so long since I've had one that I wouldn't know where to start.

Never had it, but this might help in putting together a recipe for it.

http://www.ratebeer.com/Beer/bells-harry-magills-spiced-stout/10702/

Ize

Sadly, it is no longer available in Chicago. Bell's distributor sold the contract and, basically, Bell's can't get out of it. As a result, Bell's is now required to go through a very large distribution company with their product (Chicago Beverage Co, I believe- aka ChiBev).

The problem is, ChiBev basically told Bell's "Look, we don't want your crappy little microbrew stuff- it's too much inventory and not enough profit. So just give us your one or two most popular brews and we're not going to carry anything else."

Bells then responded by getting out of the Chicago market entirely, basically telling their distributor that they make enough money in the other 20 states or however many they are distributed in and they don't need the stron arm tactic that prevents their lesser-known brews from coming to market in the area.

So yeah... a big pissing contest. No more Bells.

I saw it at Wine and Beer next to Ukrop's on Broad St. in the west end.

You Virginians (and Iowans, too) lucked out! I'll now have to make a road trip to Kenosha or Gary to get Bell's! And yes, this is in direct response to the debacle here in Chicago. More dirt here!

todd_k said:
I saw it at Wine and Beer next to Ukrop's on Broad St. in the west end.

Thanks!

I was just over in that shopping center the other day...I'll have to pick some up...the fridge is running low. :(

Back