Cold crashing and bottle carbing.. bad idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

free2brew

Reaction score
Heya, I was thinking about attempting a cold crash for my recent Abbey to help with clearing, but I'm not yet a kegger. Will a few days at 36F ruin any chances of decent carbonation when I bottle?

Thanks,

- Chris

nope, it'll be fine. lager'd beers hang out at that temperature for a while, and still often carbonate without the need to re-pitch.

generally speaking, you'd have to filter your beer, or leave it for at least 4 months before bottling, before its considered a good idea to re-pitch at bottling.

Excellent! Just the assurance I was looking for. My garage ranges from 30-45 these days, and a water bath in the big cooler should keep things right around 36. I'll keep it in there for 72 hours or so.

Thanks!

-Chris

I've crash cooled for a week with gelatin creating crystal clear beer and have no problem carbonating my lagers. They do take a little longer but thats fine because they taste better by then.

GT

Back