Lagers with Ale Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alabama Brewer

Reaction score
Wondering if I can use Lager extract ingredient kits with an Ale yeast? (Pros? Cons?)

If so, can I brew and ferment for the same duration as I do for Ales? (usually 1 week in primary, 1 week in secondary, 2 weeks bottle conditioning).

Yeah you can do that. It's the yeast more than the grains/extracts that make the beer a lager. If you use an ale yeast, you'll just be making an ale that maybe slightly off style. It'll still turn out fine.

Welcome to the forum:mug: and if you haven't already check out this and the wiki there's lots of great info in both

Hey Chris - you sure can do that. One other thing you might consider is the WPL810 San Francisco Lager yeast from White Labs. It works great in the Alabama climate, I've done several batches using that yeast here in Alabama since the weather turned colder and they've been fantastic.

You can make Lager kits using Ale yeast, but I think if you're going to use Ale yeast you'll be happier making an Ale style beer. Your "lager" is going to turn out somewhat like an Ale anyway, so you might as well go with it rather than fight it if you understand where I'm coming from.

Back