Yeast Washing Illustrated

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK - So I'm guessing when White Labs is talking about reusing w/in 3 weeks, they're probably implying without proper preparation of a starter? I just wanted to make sure. After all, I'm trying to split, harvest, and store yeast *before* using it a first time, when possible, to get the maximum 'bang' from my buck. Don't want to inadvertently ruin a vial of yeast *before* it even makes it into a full batch. Thanks much for the reference.

OK - So I'm guessing when White Labs is talking about reusing w/in 3 weeks, they're probably implying without proper preparation of a starter? I just wanted to make sure. After all, I'm trying to split, harvest, and store yeast *before* using it a first time, when possible, to get the maximum 'bang' from my buck. Don't want to inadvertently ruin a vial of yeast *before* it even makes it into a full batch. Thanks much for the reference.

I thought of that also but decided to go with yeast harvested from the fermenter simply because of the extra volume( more to work with, hence more washed yeast and more to save) it will also give me the yeast to make several frozen samples for long term storage. this way it should be a lifetime before I had to rebuy a strain. My strategy is to use the jars of dormant 1st gen washed yeast first then break out 1 frozen sample and repeat from step one including freezing more samples of the 2nd gen. After all 1st gen frozen samples are used, each of which would make many jars of washed yeast, move on to the 2nd gen frozen samples. If I have thought this through correctly the frozen bank will get larger and larger until I hit 4th or 5th gen where I would stop. With so many washed jars from beer production I really cant see ever hitting 5th gen.

I washed and refrigerated a trappist yeast for 3 weeks using the instructions in this thread. Pitched it into a starter an HOUR ago and it's already fermenting like crazy. Good info!!

Has anyone washed a wheat yeast like WLP320? I tried getting some from a crash cooled secondary. I have three layers in my Mason jar: beer, yeast, and something else?

Has anyone washed a wheat yeast like WLP320? I tried getting some from a crash cooled secondary. I have three layers in my Mason jar: beer, yeast, and something else?

I assume you are referring to the bottom thickest layer, the layers are all the same regardless of the yeast strain.

yeast_wash2.gif

If you are referring to the tub...that is hops/wasteproducts from the yeast, etc.

Yes.

The wheat yeast I washed, WLP320, has three layers to it. The thin watery layer, a yeast layer, and then another layer. I'm assuming the third layer is the trub or suspension materials that a wheat typically leaves (crash cooling may have settled them out of suspension). I had planned on pitching the entire jar of material into a starter and then into another wheat beer. The concern I had was the extra "trub" layer causing some off flavors or worse some contamination.

Has anyone had any success with the washing and reuse of wheat strains of liquid yeast?

I will be trying it with my WLP300 as soon as it's done fermenting. Thanks to the OP for the illustrated guide.

yeah, that pic of the different layers was helpful. I thought everything below the clear beer layer was good pitchable yeast. i've used wased yeast with the trub for my last two batches. will have to look for that thin layer of goodness and keep the mud behind.

Chriso ...... Just a thought here, why not just brew up an extract batch close to what the yeast will be ultimately used in. Then wash the whole yeast cake, and get the full benefits of washing the yeast. I am planning on a really experimental brew, and was planning on needing several fresh inoculations of yeast.

Just a thought.

Good luck

Did my first starter today with washed yeast (W1084 Irish Ale yeast), and I was pleased to see that the starter took off after about 15 min!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was a little concerned at first , 'cause we're doing a double batch of Scotch Ale on Sun., and if the starter didn't work, we have no plan "B".

Do I just the auto siphon to get the yeast into the bigger mason jar or do I just pour? Also when it gets into the bigger mason jar, do I just another siphon or can I just pour? Let me know what everyone else does, thank you.

Thanks to this thread, I've had a batch of WLP008/WLP051 that has been kickin for about 6 months now. I started out by accidentally pitching both into a 10g batch, but then found out that its a unique blend and I actually kind of liked it. So then I washed that cake, filled 10 baby soda bottles with it and pitched a new batch with what was left. Have made one batch a week for the last 6 months and washed a new cake at about 3 months and haven't seen a problem with slow starts or stuck ferments yet. I'm thinking about changing over to all wlp001 though in another month when I run out of starters.

I've got a quick question about WLP 400. Rather than start a whole new thread....

It's been hot here in Oregon for the past week (up until yesterday). I ferment in my apartment's outdoor utility closet. Saturday evening the ambient temperature in the closet was 88* at 10PM, so I can only assume it was probably up into the 90's earlier in the day. I'm planning on washing my yeast this evening, but I don't know if it's worth it. The super high fermentation temps will adversley affect my current brew, but will the washed yeast continue to make beer that tastes like it was fermented at 90*?

On the other hand, I look forward to lagering this winter :D

I went to make a starter tonight with my washed yeast. I obviously got a substantial bit of trub when I did this. Now, I got big bits of trub floating around in my starter. Am I OK to use the starter or do I need to ditch it? Doesn't seem too different than pitching on top of an old yeast cake to me......

Thanks,

Man I love washing and reusing yeast. I have had the same yeast for 6 batches now and just dumped it as spent. That is over a year and 78ish gallons of beer later from one $6 vial of WLP001.

Inspired by you guys I have decided to harvest some yeast myself. I think I got more trub than I want in these using the pour method, but oh well this is my first attempt. I think I'll get one of those mini auto-siphons to make this easier.

This is a W1056. What do you guys think?
Click on the pic for a really close look. :drunk:

very nice! Huge amounts of yeast in those jars! I have washed yeast and it is definitely worth it. I haven't bought yeast in 3 months (50 gallons or so).

Thanks for the guide Bernie, with your hard work and the help of a few people in Chat, I washed my WLP001 last night. I have to say this was easy as heck to do and I recommend that if you haven't tried it, give it a shot.

IMG_0256.jpg

This thread has inspired me to try it. I have 6 gallons of a 1.080 brown ale in the primary right now. The yeast is wl cal ale. I usually dont secondary, so once I rack the beer off I will try Bernie's meathod. I have a lot of trub and hops in the primary, but it looks like going into the large jar first and letting it settle out and then moving it into the smaller jars will get rid of most of the trub and hops. My question has to do with yeast cell count, If you are going to brew a 1.078 IIPA you will need approx. 587 billion cells according to mr. malty. So would I just use one small jar in a 3500 mil starter on a stir plate to end up with the right amount of cells or is it 2 small jars? Another question is temperature, I am assuming you do not want to cold crash because then the yeast fall to the bottom with the junk, so room temp. 68-70 degrees for the transfers?

Eastside

Beuatiful how-to Bernie! :rockin:

The pictures add so much to the steps! I have read this same procedure many times from other sources but I've always thought "just to complicated for a noobie". Now that I see the photos along side the write up it looks like a no-brainer!

I will no doubt give this a shot. I'll try and remember to take purty pictures too so I can pass the knowlege along. For all who plan on giving future instructions: pictures really do say a thousand words and make the complex seem far less daunting...FOLLOW BERNIE'S EXAMPLE! :)

Thanks All for the insight. You make the noobies feel well-trained!

-Tripod

Quick question:

I've just done this on 3 batches. 1 batch came out perfect.

Two other batches were rushed and, ultimately it looks like there's a lot more than just yeast in there, though I'm not sure.

These two batches were both extract batches and both run through a strainer before racking to primary. Though I'm not 100% sure, I'm guessing I got good, live yeast and dead yeasties in there as well. Will this be a problem?

Going to try this Saturday when I bottle by Weisbier. WLP300 is too pricey for a cheap bastid like me to buy every time. Plus, I plan on keeping the weis on hand so the economics are there for justification!

Sure you can. Why would you want to??? They're only about a buck a pack. Hardly worth it to go through all that trouble for just a dollar.

Can you say "nottingham", im washing the heck out of this stuff. It hasn't been available for a long time.

Quick question:

I've just done this on 3 batches. 1 batch came out perfect.

Two other batches were rushed and, ultimately it looks like there's a lot more than just yeast in there, though I'm not sure.

These two batches were both extract batches and both run through a strainer before racking to primary. Though I'm not 100% sure, I'm guessing I got good, live yeast and dead yeasties in there as well. Will this be a problem?

Should be fine. You'll probably end up with some dead yeast as well. But, the process of washing will remove most of the dead yeast and other trub material. Be sure to make a starter when using it. That way the healthy yeast can get a head start and boost their numbers to give you a higher success rate.

Back