Avery homebrew recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moti_mo

Reaction score
I searched the forum to see if someone else had posted about this, but didn't come up with anything (which surprised me).

A few days ago, Avery Brewing Company posted homebrew recipes for 14 of their excellent beers on their website:

http://averybrewing.com/brewery/recipes-for-homebrewers/

For those who like to clone, it doesn't get much better than that. The list has some great beers on there - Maharaja, Salvation, Czar,...

Enjoy

Yeah, they are always really open and forthcoming, but I was quite impressed with this release.

Thanks for posting. I do think their hops quantities are off on some of the recipes (IPA .25oz bittering?), easy enough to correct though if you have beersmith or similar.

That is a good point, I didn't look at those numbers in great detail at first, but some of those bittering additions do seem a bit low. Quickly plugging their recipe numbers for the IPA into Beer Calculus, I get about 25 IBU, whereas their website stats for the same beer puts it at 69 IBU:

http://averybrewing.com/our-ales/india-pale-ale/

Not sure what that's all about. It's probably a good idea to throw the numbers into a program to make sure you get the desired bitterness. Anyway, you can cross reference the stats listed on their individual beer descriptions to make sure you get close to the right bitterness level with (most importantly) the right hop schedule (in terms of percentages at given times), as provided by the recipe.

That is a good point, I didn't look at those numbers in great detail at first, but some of those bittering additions do seem a bit low. Quickly plugging their recipe numbers for the IPA into Beer Calculus, I get about 25 IBU, whereas their website stats for the same beer puts it at 69 IBU:

http://averybrewing.com/our-ales/india-pale-ale/

Not sure what that's all about. It's probably a good idea to throw the numbers into a program to make sure you get the desired bitterness. Anyway, you can cross reference the stats listed on their individual beer descriptions to make sure you get close to the right bitterness level with (most importantly) the right hop schedule (in terms of percentages at given times), as provided by the recipe.

They clearly used a wrong conversion factor. Keep proportions between the different additions the same. For example, the Ellies should have .75 Bullion and 1.75 Sterling. Works out to the proper IBU. I sent them an email alerting them to fix that before someone makes a lame batch.

The 60 and 30 minute CTZ additions for the Maharaja recipe should each be 1.77 oz at the same listed bitterness to hit the 102 IBU they claim using Tinseth. And yeah, that recipe outstrips the capacity of my 10 gal round cooler, so it'll be quite some time before I make that one.

So will you buy more Avery beer or less now that you can make it for a fraction of the cost ?

I will still buy it. I know my homebrew wont taste the same, so I will drink the original and the knock-off.

*edit* checking out the website, the Czar has some differences.

Beer Style: Imperial Stout
Hop Variety: Magnum, Sterling
Malt Variety: Two-row barley, Oats, Cara-45, Black malt, Belgian Chocolate malt, Midnight wheat, Honey malt
OG: 1.104 ABV: 10-12% IBUs: 55 Color: Black

Ingredients list:
OG: 1.104, AE: 1.025
Grist:
Pale 2-Row – 86.8%
Cara-8 – 1.9%
Cara-45 – 3.7%
Debittered Black Malt – 1.2%
Chocolate – 1.2%
Carafa III – 1.5%
Honey Malt – 3.7%
Hops:
60 min – Magnum (13.6% AA) – 0.94 oz
30 min – Magnum (13.4% AA) – 0.89 oz
0 min – Sterling – 0.52 oz
0 min – Hallertau– 0.52 oz

They must have scaled their big batch recipes linearly, thus the low hops amounts. The bigger the batch, the less you need to hit the IBUs, correct?

Was at their taproom today for lunch after a hike in Boulder. Had the Eremita IV blueberry/spruce sour, their 3Point5 Session, and the Summer's Day Tangerine IPA. All delicious.

I'm kind of amazed by the grain bill for Czar. There's no roasted barley, and only 3.9% of the bill is roasted malts. I had a bottle last winter and wasn't a big fan. It wasn't very dark for an imperial stout (you could see through it when you tilted the glass), and it wasn't particularly roasty. As I recall, it had more dark fruit flavors to it. Now, I can understand why. It's really not a typical RIS grain-bill.

As far as Maharaja goes, in the cybi interview, Adam Avery said that they used some malt extract in the grain bill to make the mash more reasonable. If I were brewing that beer, I'd use the cybi recipe; it should be easier. The hop amounts should be more accurate as well.

Nice! Thanks for the headsup. I know what I may be brewing once I start back up. It really goes to show what hops I like in alot of my favorate beers. I guess I havent even brewed with my favorate hops yet.:eek: Havent had a chance to brew with Columbus and many of my top 10-20 favorite ipa's use columbus Ive noticed.

Great post, I love their beers. I think out of bounds is one of my favorite stouts.

Regarding the bittering...I highly doubt they would give wrong hop amounts/additions. Most commercial breweries do whirlpool additions, as does Avery (check out the CYBI maharaja episode), which would be at 0 minutes in the boil. Since the wort isn't being cooled during the whirlpool the alpha-acids are still being isomerized and are still contributing to bitterness. If it's easier for you, take their 0 additions and plug them in as 15 minutes (to adjust for the 15 minute whirlpool) and you will see the IBUs on the given IPA recipe match up closer to the stats on their website. Hope this helps.

skibb said:
Regarding the bittering...I highly doubt they would give wrong hop amounts/additions. Most commercial breweries do whirlpool additions, as does Avery (check out the CYBI maharaja episode), which would be at 0 minutes in the boil. Since the wort isn't being cooled during the whirlpool the alpha-acids are still being isomerized and are still contributing to bitterness. If it's easier for you, take their 0 additions and plug them in as 15 minutes (to adjust for the 15 minute whirlpool) and you will see the IBUs on the given IPA recipe match up closer to the stats on their website. Hope this helps.

Bingo. If they have a hopback as well that adds a whole lot of IBU's.

Ok I will try this post again. Yes I am a rookie. Does the grain bill for the Avery clones assume a total weight of 16 lbs when figuring the percentages.

Ok I will try this post again. Yes I am a rookie. Does the grain bill for the Avery clones assume a total weight of 16 lbs when figuring the percentages.

No. The percentages assume no weight at all since batches of grain vary.

If 16 pounds is what you get when you combine the percentages with corrected grain data and you estimate the same OG for the recipe, then 16 pounds it is.

GilaMinumBeer said:
No. The percentages assume no weight at all since batches of grain vary.

If 16 pounds is what you get when you combine the percentages with corrected grain data and you estimate the same OG for the recipe, then 16 pounds it is.

It also depends on your particular efficiency. A system with an efficiency of 80% is going to require less grain than a system that only gets 65%, but the grain ratios will be the same.

Latest posts

Back