Keg a Beer you Dry Hopped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ZenBrew

Reaction score
I kegged a beer on Friday that I dry hopped during secondary fermenation. I dry hopped it with hop pellets.

Today I tried to pour a beer from that keg but it kept clogging up... I think I got the clog taken care of (until the rest of the hops settle), but I am wondering how people filter out all those little hop chunks before they keg their beer?

There has got to be a way to dry hop and then keg it without getting clog after clog...

Thanks! :mug:

+1. Dry hop in keg.
Nylon bag for whole hops. Womans nylon hose fo pellets( theyre much finer). Suspend from lidwith dent floss

Good idea. So is the implementation to tie the bag onto the end of the hose that you are using to pour the beer into the keg?

ZenBrew said:
Good idea. So is the implementation to tie the bag onto the end of the hose that you are using to pour the beer into the keg?

I tie the bag with a long bit of dental floss and clamp the keg lid shut so the bag dangles about the mid level (halfway) mark inside the keg. The dental floss is long enough that I can grab it easily before opening the lid to pull it out after a week or slowly pull it to the top of the keg after a few pints have been had. This way it is no longer in contact with the beer.

Without being too graphic. It's kind of like a hop tampon. Maybe that was too much?

I use leaf hops and just throw them in the tank in a muslin bag and let them float. I've always had a massive dry-hop flavor so I don't think I am losing anything by not making sure they are 100% under the beer. When I remove the hops bag after a week or so it is totally saturated with beer.

Sanitize a paint strainer bag, and put it in the keg, and rack the finished beer through that. A little more chance of oxidation (flush the keg with co2), but the siphon won't get clogged like if you put it over the auto-siphon/racking cane

Hopstopper_1.jpg

Hopstopper_2.jpg

Hopstopper_3.jpg

I kegged a beer on Friday that I dry hopped during secondary fermenation. I dry hopped it with hop pellets.

Today I tried to pour a beer from that keg but it kept clogging up... I think I got the clog taken care of (until the rest of the hops settle), but I am wondering how people filter out all those little hop chunks before they keg their beer?

There has got to be a way to dry hop and then keg it without getting clog after clog...

Thanks! :mug:

For "the next time", see the previous posts with ideas. For this time, you could pull the beverage line dip tube, bend it somewhat (so it doesn't reach the bottom) and then put it back in. That way, the hops and yeast and ... that settle to the bottom won't clog the beverage line or the poppet. I also (sometimes) use this method for cold crashing in the keg...but usually not as I can just draw off a couple of pints w/o doing this a be on the way.

Back