Which chest freezer for fermenting 5 carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zanemoseley

Reaction score
Are there any common sizes of chest freezers that will accommodate 2 of the 6 gallon better bottles and airlocks without having to make a collar? I've never owned a chest freezer but the compressor "hump" inside seems like it might be the killer for many of the medium sized units.

Well the Holiday 7.0 cubic foot seems just about right for 2 carboys. I may try to get a bit better brand though so it lasts longer, there are several posts on the Holiday stating they may only last 3 years of so. I can't wait to get one up and running. This will let me do ale's in the Summer, currently my basement is at 76+ degrees which isn't very good for anything except maybe some Belgians. Then in the winter I can ferment ales in the basement when its low to mid 60's and lager in the fermenter freezer.

Do you want room for 2 carboys or 5? Your thread title states something different than your post. If you only want to fit 2, I went with the kenmore 8.8 cu ft chest freezer from Sears. I took two lids from my ale pales to the store to make sure they would both fit on the floor of the freezer before I purchased it.

If you want to fit 5 carboys, then I have no clue, that would require a very large chest freezer.

Whoops, I meant to put 2 carboys. I do 10 gallon batches at a time. Looks like I need to keep an eye on craigslist and the other local online site we have.

Back