Orval yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avidhomebrewer

Reaction score
I searched the site but didn't come across anything as to what yeast to use for Orval. So if there is some other response to this question, please let me know and sorry for the double post.

Anyways, anyone have any success using a commercially available brand of yeast to homebrewers? (preferably Wyeast, because that is what my lhbs carries)?

I Googled Orval and others have commented on how funky the brew will get. I have never had Orval but is this a sour beer? Beeradvocate says it is, but I would like to get the opinions of those on this site that have either made or had the brew.

It's WLP 510. Sorry no Wyeast equivalent. You'd also be good taking the yeast from a bottle of Orval. Also, Orval is bottle conditioned with Brettanomyces. It's not sour it's just funky, dry and tart.

I believe Orval is primarily fermented with a standard Belgian strain, then bottle conditioned with a mix of 3 yeasts, one of which is brettanomyces. I've pitched Orval dregs before, and they tend to produce a nice brett character in the finished beer.

Back