Can You Brew It recipe for Lagunitas IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EricCSU

Reaction score
All recipes are 6 gallons post-boil, 70% efficiency, Morey for color, 15% evaporation, 7.27 gallons preboil if 60min boil, Rager IBU, and most hops are in grams not ounces. Most, if not all recipes are primary only (no secondary).

If you brew this, please reply with your results.

SG 1060
FG 1020 (target of 1018)
9 SRM
46.8 IBU

WLP002 or Wyeast 1968 at 66F, increase to 70 over 5-6 days to increase attenuation due to 002 being a low attenuator.

10.9 lbs US 2-row
0.87 lbs wheat malt
0.82 lbs munich
0.55 lbs crystal 60
1.3 lbs crystal 10

4g summit 18.5%AA at 60m
10g horizon %AA at 60m
23g Williamette 4.75%AA at 30min
11g Centennial 9%AA at 30min
34g Cascade 5.75%AA at 1m
21g Cascade dry hop for 5 days
21g Centennial dry hop for 5 days

Mash at 160F [yep, that's no typo. I had to replay it myself.]

Added unkown quantity of gypsum to kettle.

Jamil noted that if he rebrewed he would mash at 158F to hit the SG. He thinks that 160F may be too high on his particular system.

Brewed it in December,

OG = 1.058
FG = 1.020
Weast 1968
Mash @ 158
ferment 3 weeks@ 69deg.
no water adjustments
same recipe as above

turned out good, well made but not my favorite IPA

Brewed it in December,

OG = 1.058
FG = 1.020
Weast 1968
Mash @ 158
ferment 3 weeks@ 69deg.
no water adjustments
same recipe as above

turned out good, well made but not my favorite IPA

I am going to brew an IPA in mid May for a party in late June. I have been going back and forth between Green Flash and Lagunitas. I think I am going to go with Green Flash...it is incredible. I wish they would do a Hop Head Red show!

Eric

I want to brew the Green Flash recipe so let me know how it comes out. I've never had it. I have had Lagunitas before and its not my favorite.

Are these guys actually putting in 1.8 pounds of crystal in their IPA?! Anytime ive used that much I think it is just way too much in almost any beer. @bbone66 did you actually use that much?

Are these guys actually putting in 1.8 pounds of crystal in their IPA?! Anytime ive used that much I think it is just way too much in almost any beer. @bbone66 did you actually use that much?

Just listened to the recipe again to verify. The malt bill is correct as presented.

Eric

yes i did, 1.2 crystal 10 and .5 crystal 60, even mashed it at 158deg.... Guess that explains the sweet taste. It finished @ 1.020

Thanks again to Eric for putting this database together. I brewed this a few weeks ago, and I am pretty happy with it. The color is much darker in my version, but I think the Munich I bought had a higher L than I should have bought. The attenuation was right on, and the flavor is very close to the original with a great floral aroma.

OG = 1.056
FG = 1.014
Weast 1968
Mash @ 160
ferment 5 days 3 @ 68 deg 2 days @ 70 deg
Dry hop 6 days @ 68, including a "roust" at 2 days

Added 2/3 cup of corn sugar for bottle conditioning, racking a bit over 4 gallons.

This much crystal malt, along with a high mash temp, gives Lagunitas their signature taste and mouthfeel. I was surprised by these numbers too until I tried a few of their beers.

I just brewed this last weekend. I forgot about the mash at 160 thing, so I ended up mashing at 153 which is what I normally do for IPAs. Oh well, I'm sure its still going to turn out awesome. I also had to make some adjustments to the bittering hops because my local store was out of summit and horizon. I used Warrior and Simcoe instead. I also added some simcoe to the 1 min hops just because I love them so much:) Everything else was the same. Can't wait to try this one!

Dang it I wish I could get Lagunitas here in Cincinnati!

Digging up an old thread.. but..

Planning to brew this one this season. I like to line up at least 6 recipes to buy hops for at harvest.

I listened to the original show. I am thinking a change was made in the original translation of this. The ration of horizon to summit was much greater in the original. I don't have my notes here but there is much more horizon relative to the summit. When I change the values for Horizon to 14g and reduce the summit to 3.5 g (conveniently 1/2 oz and 1/8 oz), the IBU come out correctly and the ratio gets closer to the original.

I am wondering if anyone has experimented with the base bittering addition?

Thanks,

Chris

Brewed this one on Wednesday. I went with the full 160F mash temp, we wanted to give it a shot and see how it turned out.

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 7.97 gal
Estimated OG: 1.060 SG
Estimated Color: 9.4 SRM
Estimated IBU: 49.7 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Amount Item
12.54 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)
0.94 lb Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
0.63 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)

0.60 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] (60 min)
0.40 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (30 min) Hops 7.5 IBU
0.81 oz Williamette [4.75 %] (30 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
1.20 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (1 min) Hops 4.0 IBU
0.74 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 5 days)
0.74 oz Centennial [10.00 %] (Dry Hop 5 days) Hops -

Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Step Time Name Description Step Temp
75 min Mash In Add 5.20 gal of water at 171.6 F 160.0 F

Wyeast 1968 was used with a 2-litre starter. Just brewed it yesterday, so I'll update the thread in about 4-5 weeks with the result.

How did it come out?

I am tweaking this for my system to maybe brew over Thanksgiving.

Chris

Turned out awesome, however slightly on the lower ABV side. Ends up being around 5.50%, the real thing I believe is 6.50-6.80%. Will definitely be making it again, just will be increasing the grain bill next time to get the ABV.

Definitely worth brewing, the taste and aroma are pretty much spot-on.

I was getting about the same result when I put the recipe in Beersmith. According to their website, its about 6.2%. I will probably let it ride for my first attempt.. I have some big beers in keg as it is and having something a little smaller wouldn't be bad.

Thanks for the feedback!

Chris

I've brewed this beer a few times before, and I only just recently re-listened to the podcast. I am confused about the hop additions. Can someone explain why the Summit and Horizon values are so much different than what Jeremy indicated?

He lists the following g/L for each addition:

Horizon - 0.3 g/L
Summit - 0.05 g/L
Centennial - 0.5 g/L
Willamette - 1 g/L
Cascade - 1.5 g/L

The recipe here, as well as everywhere else on the web, shows what I would assume are proper values for the last 3 hops based on 22 liters / 6 gallons.

However, using the values above, it seems like the Horizon should be 6.6 grams and the Summit around 1.1 grams. Why are the values 10 and 4 respectively? It doesn't make sense to me.

Thoughts?

I've brewed this beer a few times before, and I only just recently re-listened to the podcast. I am confused about the hop additions. Can someone explain why the Summit and Horizon values are so much different than what Jeremy indicated?

He lists the following g/L for each addition:

Horizon - 0.3 g/L
Summit - 0.05 g/L
Centennial - 0.5 g/L
Willamette - 1 g/L
Cascade - 1.5 g/L

The recipe here, as well as everywhere else on the web, shows what I would assume are proper values for the last 3 hops based on 22 liters / 6 gallons.

However, using the values above, it seems like the Horizon should be 6.6 grams and the Summit around 1.1 grams. Why are the values 10 and 4 respectively? It doesn't make sense to me.

Thoughts?

Just shooting from the hip here - I haven't listened to the episode in a while - but maybe it has to do with differences in the AA%?

Thought so too, but nope, both use the same 18.5% for Summit and 12% for Horizon.

Could it be a utilization thing with the 60 min bittering additions in a 6 gallon batch vs a brewhouse batch? I doubt it, but just thinking out loud

Brewing this tonight, but with the hop rates from the podcast. If I use the IBUs listed in the recipe here I calculate (beersmith2, Rager) close to 55IBUs; if I cut back to the rates in the podcast, I get about 46IBUs which is what the target is on the Lagunitas IPA packaging.

Brewing this tonight, but with the hop rates from the podcast. If I use the IBUs listed in the recipe here I calculate (beersmith2, Rager) close to 55IBUs; if I cut back to the rates in the podcast, I get about 46IBUs which is what the target is on the Lagunitas IPA packaging.

OG 1.064
Volume: 5.66 Gallons in fermentor
Temp: 66F

IMAG2508.jpg

IMAG2509.jpg

Hydro sample shows 1.026, a bit on the high side, but I ended up fermenting closet to 64 than 66 or 68. Sample smells amazing and taste good. Dry hopping now.

ForumRunner_20120501_173923.jpg

Brewed this 6 weeks ago. I used US-05. 1 week @ 66, then 2 weeks @70. Dry hopped for 7 days in primary, then bottled.
OG 1.057
FG 1.011
It is delicious. I don't know how this compares to the original. I plan to find out this weekend.
The beer is actually more clear than it looks in the photo.

Lagunita Clone.jpg

Here's mine... still can't find any in bottles around town to compare. From my recollection, I think I'm a bit high on the IBU side, but still a great drinker. The aroma is just phenomenal on this one; great hop and yeast complement.

IMAG2651.jpg

Brewing this tomorrow. It's crazy how expensive this beer is considering the number of hop varieties and the fact that I don't have bulk for any of them. @ $2 per oz, it's between $14-$18 just for the friggin hops.

However, it's still cheap in comparison to the real thing.

Brewed this tonight, like everyone I had skepticism about the hop amounts, but I know Lagu IPA pretty well, and since the hops early in the boil are high AA, I can believe the hopping rate is going to be correct. I love this beer, I can't wait to have five gallons in the keg of it to drink from!

Funny enough, this is still sitting in the fermenter. I need to keg this ASAP.

Still smells fantastic.

Can you hammer a six-inch spike through a board with your pen!s? A girl's got to have her standards.

Not a huge fan, but decent nonetheless. I'd improve this a bit, while staying somewhat true to the original beer, yet at the same time simplifying the recipe... something like this:

75-77% efficiency
3-4 week primary, with dryhop included
7.5 gallon, 60 minute full volume boil
6.0 gallon batch
1.058 - 1.061 OG
< 1.014 FG
5.9-6.3% abv
7 SRM

11 lbs US 2-row
1 lb wheat malt
1 lb munich 10L
3/4 lb crystal 40

(Mash at 153 F for 60 min - 1.5 qts/lb grain - then batch sparge)

25-30 IBUs Summit at 60 min
10-15 IBUs Horizon or Centennial at 30 min
10-15 IBUs Williamette at 30 min
1.50 oz. Cascade at flameout (20 min whirlpool steep)
1.00 oz. Centennial at flameout (20 min whirlpool steep)
1.50 oz. Cascade dryhop for 7 days
1.50 oz. Centennial dryhop for 7 days

(7.5 oz. total hops for 53 IBUs give or take, with some additional IBUs from the flameout addition)

Wyeast 1968 at 64F, later increased to 68 F
(74-77% attenuation is definitely possible)

Hi, I am still relatively new at all of this. I just brewed this a couple of days ago following this recipe. I am a little confused as to when to add the dry hops, at five days into fermenting? After adding the hops wait for 5-7 days then rack to a secondary? I just want to make sure I understand this. Thanks in advance!

Hi, I am still relatively new at all of this. I just brewed this a couple of days ago following this recipe. I am a little confused as to when to add the dry hops, at five days into fermenting? After adding the hops wait for 5-7 days then rack to a secondary? I just want to make sure I understand this. Thanks in advance!

Generally, dry hops are added after fermentation is complete (or close to complete) and 5-7 days prior to bottling. I would let you beer ferment for 10 day - 2 weeks and then add the dry hops for 5-7 days and then bottle. If you want to use a secondary vessel (up to you, though I do not think it is necessary here) let the beer ferment for 10 days - 2 weeks in primary, then rack it to secondary, then add the dry hops for 5-7 days, then bottle.

If you cannot be certain you can bottle on time you should wait to dry hop - once the dry hops are in, you dont want to leave them in there for more than 7 days and you'll want to get all that hoppy goodness into bottles as soon as the dry hopping is finished.

Brewed, fermented, dry hopped, cold crashed, kegged and served all within two weeks. No notes of green beer here. I followed everything by the book and this beer turned around like a champ. However, some problems:

Well first off, LHBS didn't have Cascade (I know, right?!), so I chose Amarillo instead and the Centenniarillo combo is pretty good. Doesn't smell like Lagu IPA, but it's good. Then again, Lagu IPA to me doesn't smell like much of anything too extremely dry-hopped either. The local liquor store says our local distributor is a big fan of holding fresh stuff on their own shelves, so maybe I'll never try a fresh commercial example with that Cascennial nose, either.

OK, the big problem: 35 IBUs isn't nearly as close to what Lagunitas IPA really is. At all. Nope, nope nope nopenopenope. This beer misses the bitterness index by at least 20 IBUs, and I can't at all call this cloned. Something needs to be done... I think double-down on the 60m addition. I like this beer because of the balance, bitter but not typical IPA bitter. This beer I have here isn't any of that. Almost -- but so far away from actual Lagu IPA.

This grain bill is spot-the-hell-on. Wow, through the not-so-bitter taste above it this grain bill is exactly how Lagu IPA is, and that's really exciting. When I come back to this beer, I know the grains are 100%. But man, that bitterness is just way off, way too low.

Pitched two packs of S04 at 64F, free rise to 66F where it fermented 7d. Rise to 70F for 7d for the dryhop. Cooled beer and racked into keg. Force carbed and served that night. I know a lot of you would call someone a coward serving their beer that early, but I've had success before and I had success here. Some beers can get away with it, and Lagunitas did so. If I did this one again though, other than hopping it more, I'd dryhop 10-14d, however.

I believe I'll brew this next. I have no real IPAs on hand. (crazy, right?) I have the Clone Brews recipe, which is a little different. In the past I've had good results combining the CB and CYBI recipes. I'm pretty excited about it too. I like an IPA around 6%. It will be ready sooner, and quite drinkable, if I don't screw it up.

I am going to resurrect this thing from the dead...

I listened to this podcast the other day because I would like to make this beer. I put the recipe into BeerSmith but I am seeing some inconsistencies as it relates to the level of attenuation w/ the mash temp and yeast. Lagunitas reports an OG of 1.060 and an ABV of 6.2% on their website, that's 77% apparent attenuation. There's no way to get there with 1968 or WLP002 w/ a mash temp of 160, I could do it with 1056 or WLP001 but obviously that would change the beer. The best attenuation I've ever had with WLP002 was mashing at 149F and that brought a 1.058 beer down to 1.013, about 76% apparent attenuation but I wouldn't expect that level with a mash temp at 160. Am I off base here?

I am going to resurrect this thing from the dead...

I listened to this podcast the other day because I would like to make this beer. I put the recipe into BeerSmith but I am seeing some inconsistencies as it relates to the level of attenuation w/ the mash temp and yeast. Lagunitas reports an OG of 1.060 and an ABV of 6.2% on their website, that's 77% apparent attenuation. There's no way to get there with 1968 or WLP002 w/ a mash temp of 160, I could do it with 1056 or WLP001 but obviously that would change the beer. The best attenuation I've ever had with WLP002 was mashing at 149F and that brought a 1.058 beer down to 1.013, about 76% apparent attenuation but I wouldn't expect that level with a mash temp at 160. Am I off base here?

They have a proprietary yeast, and bazillion barrel fermenters. I think what they have going on in their tanks for fermentation is different than what we can recreate. I personally mash this recipe at 155 degrees (+/-) and just pitch healthy 1968.

They have a proprietary yeast, and bazillion barrel fermenters. I think what they have going on in their tanks for fermentation is different than what we can recreate. I personally mash this recipe at 155 degrees (+/-) and just pitch healthy 1968.

Thanks for the super quick reply!

This is exactly what I was looking for-someone who has personally brewed this. I will mash at 155F and see how it turns out.

I have brewed this too. Although I don't take gravity readings much anymore, this came out very good when mashed at 160F. It certainly wasn't too sweet. I really don't think the highly modified malts of today respond very much to variances in mash temp like they used to.

That said, I definitely prefer a cleaner yeast for my IPAs and pales. I usually use chico, Pacman, Kölsch, or similar.

I did the recipe on the OP and have had it in the keg for a couple weeks now. It's a good beer, but if I were to sample it without knowing what it was, I wouldn't be saying "That's a Lagunitas IPA." I think the biggest miss is on the hop flavor/aroma. The late addition flavor and aroma just didn't seem to come through. The color is also a bit darker. This is still a very good beer, but it puts me more in the mind of a Sam Adams that a Lagu IPA.

Having said that, the recipe may not be all to blame. I was a bit low on my mash temp and due to some disatractions, I didn't let my hop bag drain all the way when i was pulling it out of the primary just before kegging.

I made this yesterday....

Just to confirm because I have read a few different things on this recipe.

Is this a 7 day ferment with dry hop additions on day 3?

First ever Homebrew so trying to make sure this one turns out good.

Latest posts

Back