Which White labs yeast for Tripel or Belgian Strong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neldred

Reaction score
I'm a bigger fan of Piraat and St. Bernardus than Chimay (although still love Chimay!!). Have any of you compared the different types of Trappist White Labs (I think there are 3)? TY

The Flanders Golden Ale strain is/was a Wyeast summer Private Collection strain so you may be able to still find it...it is allegedly the Gulden Draak (Piraat) yeast. I've got a BGSA going with it right now...very low flocculation.

I'm not sure exactly which 3 yeasts you are talking about but my very limited-experience (based on my BGSA experiment in my sig) is that WY3787/WLP530/Westmalle is the most phenolic-y/clove-y but WY1214/WLP500/Chimay was prob my favorite (for low-ish gravity brews at least). I also tried the WY1388/WLP570Duvel and WY1762/WLP540/Rochefort but the Rochefort was a Dubbel so hard to compare (it seemed more fruity and less phenolic though).

Also, it seemed that the yeast I preferred for big beers wasn't always the yeast I preferred for a 'regular' ABV brew. The Chimay Enkle (the 5 gal 'yeast propogation' batch) was fantastic.

Latest posts

Back