QD/Fittings Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
This will be the first time I'm venturing out to assemble some tubing and fittings for my rig- so excuse the ignorance.

I'm getting th eshirron Plate Chiller and want to build a backflush adapter, and get the proper QDs for the Ins/Outs...

Is there anything specific I should look for when purchasing fittings and such?
I know Lowes doesn't sell "Food Grade" specific things, but clearly you guys know what to look for in terms of what can handle boiling wort mass effectively, cleanly, and properly...

Advice?

Nothing on this?

No rules or guidelines to use to get proper fittings and such to handle the heat/wort?

Any special pumps out there besides the $150 piece I saw the big order on the other day?

Many use brass qd's from McMaster-Carr, search for relevant part numbers. I use Colder QD's made of Polysulfone that handle the heat, don't get nearly as hot but cost a lot more. The water side connection for a plate chiller should be fairly easy to do from Lowes and you might find something for the wort side as well.

A few people report using other pumps than the March, but it seems March is the most common pump in use. Noticed one for sale in the HBT classifieds yesterday at a good price.

I use tri-clamp fittings for my QD's. check out the ones at brewershardware.com, or other sources around the net.

If you have patients you can save some on March pumps, otherwise Austin homebrew and Brewmaster's warehouse have the best deals.

Fittings made of brass, like the Watts brand available at Lowes will work. Thick reinforced tubing will work at those temps, but you will want to order silicone high temp hose as soon as you can.

A March 809 pump is really the best bet for homebrewing. It is food grade, high temp and enough folks have them that you have a massive support base if you have questions issues, etc. Austin Homebrewing sells them cheapest, typically. Occasionally you will find them on Ebay for pretty cheap also.

I do not use a plate chiller so I can not shed any insight on the back flush adapter.

SS fitting @ Lowes no good? I figured that would be best- then again I haven't scoped their selection yet...

Latest posts

Back