What hops should I grow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HuggerOrange

Reaction score
I'm just looking for a little advise. Basically I did a little measuring and I have room for four hop plants in my backyard, two on each side of our gate. The plants would be about 8' apart from each other. I was on Freshops.com this morning and have decided I am definately getting a Cascade and a Nugget because they seem to be the best bets to grow in any climate. I was also debating on a Mt. Hood and a Willamette but the only reason I'm a little hesitant is because of how close four different varieties will be to each other. My alternative would be two each of the Cascade and Nugget in pairs on each side of the gate. Any thoughts are appreciated.

8 feet is plenty of separation, but that's between each pair of plants. If you are talking two locations 8' apart, only plant one variety per location.

8 feet is plenty of separation, but that's between each pair of plants. If you are talking two locations 8' apart, only plant one variety per location.

It would be about 8', maybe a little less, between each plant. I was thinking of doing them in alphabetical order left to right to keep track of which is which so it would be Cascade, 8', Mt. Hood, 8', Nugget, 8' and then Willamette. Another thought of getting just Nugget and Cascade is if I lose one plant of one vairety at least I still have the second. If I get four varieties and lose one that means none of that kind.

I ordered Zeus from Freshops-huge rhizomes with lots of buds. These are going in with my cascades and Nuggets. Zeus is a great all purpose (yet high alpha) high yield hop that is apparently hardy and easy to grow too. So far, I would recommend them if you can get 'em

Latest posts

Back