How far should the burner be from the keggle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattbeer

Reaction score
I am building a frame for a banjo burner and want to know if there is a recommended distance that the burner should be from the bottom of the keggle? I assume that it's similar to a generic kitchen stove?

That is farther away than my burner is to the keggle.

There are threads here that have timed the boils with different distances. The burner should be further away for flat bottomed pots and closer for keggles.

Since you are still in the building process I would make the burner height adjustable.

I built the burner stand on threaded rod so it's adjustable. I prob won't brew until the spring, so we will c how it works then. ImageUploadedByHome Brew1390644813.445872.jpgImageUploadedByHome Brew1390644850.534200.jpg

The object that the burner is attached to is a plate lid from a restaurant. All stainless

I have been researching this myself when I noticed better efficiency with my Blichmann Floor burner, than my Bayou Classic KAB4. I am currently building my single tier.

My Blichmann is 2.75" from burner tips to kettle surface.
KAB4 is 4.75" from burner tips to kettle surface.

Purplehaze did a timed test on it already, so I don't plan on replicating. I think his #'s look good. And I believe Blichmann probably looked at that spacing for a reason. So I will be re-working my KAB4 to that burner distance.

Back