TOO MUCH ANISE!!! what to do???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
i added WAAAY too much star anise in the boil. its been in the secondary for 2 months and is still very anise-heavy. will anything cut the flavor? maybe some coffee or cocoa?

Cocoa or coffee could cover up some anise flavor, but as the brewer you will know it is there and still pick up the bad flavor. The only way to truly get reduce the flavor is to dilute.

i just can't keep a straight face reading this kind of thread...

Just call it the "Proctologist's Pale Ale" or something....

anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anise, anus ;)

How much did you use?

I brewed a saison with two whole star anise. It was pretty overpowering at first, but mellowed out nicely over time. Four months in and it's very drinkable. Although next time I think I'll just use one :)

Carbonation made quite a difference to mine, which makes it hard to judge just from tasting the secondary.

Back