Nitrogen / C02 Mixtures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

catamount

Reaction score
I am considering getting my tank filled with a nitrogen/co2 mixture for my stout which is ready to be kegged. The only thing is, I only have one tank, and its rather big, so this mixture will last me a while. I will probably want to brew and keg some other varieties before this mixture is done. Will the nitrogen/co2 mixture hinder other styles of beer? or should this be used only on stout?

Do you have a stout faucet? If not, then I wouldn't bother with the beergas.

I dunno, someone yesterday posted they were pouring a cream ale from a picnic tap, using beer gas, and got a nice thick creamy head...close to what you'd get with a stout faucet.

YMMV

Yes, the various nitrogen/CO2 mixtures are also called beergas.

If you don't have a stout faucet then you won't really get the creamy head you are probably looking for. Stout faucets have a disc in them that in conjunction with beergas causes that wonderful creamy head.

Also you may want to be careful if you are trying to fill a CO2 tank/CO2 regulator with beergas because there are special regulators to handle nitrogen. Nitrogen is stored at different PSI than CO2. I would suggest geting a smaller tank and regulator set-up specifically for your stouts/porters and using your current setup for all the other beers.

I just top off my stout with head by easing up on the tap. Not as good as beer gas (no nitrogen bubbly in he beer), but unless you intend on brewing beer to use with it a lot, probably not worth it (in my opinion anyway; If I had the money...)

Back