flaked corn... need to worry about a stuck mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottlindner

Reaction score
I'm about to brew a malt liquor recipe with nearly 50% flaked corn, the rest is 2-row and 6-row. Is flaked corn a risk for a stuck mash? I want to know what I'm in for before I find myself digging out the mash.

Cheers,
Scott

You might be OK, but 50% is alot. IF you get good conversion of the corn, it should pretty much disappear so sparging should proceed fine. If it doesn't convert well then you will mostly likely have a problem

Ive used flaked Corn on three brews in the last two monthes or so. One of them had 3lbs corn to 5lbs 2 row. I use a Stainless Steel braid in my Mash tun and never had an issue.

The only time I've ever used it is in BierMunchers Cream of 3 crops, and it flowed like a champ! I use a 5 gallon round cooler with a copper manifold and 1/8 drilled holes. The corn mash flows as fast as any, but it's only 25% corn. (PLENTY IMO!)

Hmm.. I did not receive a notification, how annoying. I will have to check into that.

Thanks for the posts everyone. So it looks like we're split 50/50 on having a problem or not. I think I'm just gonna go for it, and dig, dig, and dig if it doesn't work out.

This is what I'm brewing, Malt Liquor Time! « Grocery Eats

Crap! I just looked at the URL... I wrote down the wrong amount of corn to buy when I bought it. DOH! Looks like I'm actually at 30% corn, not 50%.

Scott

Add my vote to the "Don't worry about it (but get some rice hulls anyhow 'cos you never know)" camp. :D

30% is by no means a lot of huskless matter. I've mashed Hefeweizen before without rice hulls and had no problems with the mash sticking. You just need to be careful. But having a supply of rice hulls on hand is always a good idea just in case something get fouled up! If you get stuck, you can stir the hulls in and hopefully get it going again.

Bob

Latest posts

Back